wileECoyote

Monday 8/11 Numbers RTH TMNT 6.8 GotG 5.4

My favorite movies of the summer1.Guardians of the Galaxy2.Boyhood3.Dawn of the Planet of the Apes4.X-Men: Days of Future Past5.The Fault in Our StarsIf it were best movies of the summer1.Boyhood2.Guardians of the Galaxy3.Dawn of the Planet of the Apes4.X-Men: Days of Future Past5.How to Train Your Dragon 2

How does one determine the difference between the best film and there favorites? If I enjoyed one film more than another I'm going to say it's a better film.
  • Like 3

Last time I watched one of Tele's raves it was a freakin' tire rolling down a dusty road, killing people along the way.

That explains a lot about the man really.
  • Like 3

How does one determine the difference between the best film and there favorites? If I enjoyed one film more than another I'm going to say it's a better film.

There are films that I will acknowledge as being great films, but which I don't actually LIKE. I don't like The Graduate, at all (except for the music), but I would never deny its artistic quality. Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

UTS is weird, fucked-up, beautiful, unsettling, haunting and will stick with you for quite awhile, even as you wonder what exactly you saw.

UTS has a couple of memorable scenes - the beach scenes are gut wrenchingly disturbing and haunting. It made excellent use of Scarlett in her dead eyed mode.  Visually it's striking but it's episodic, repetitious and often sluggishly paced - more concerned with mood and tone than story.  It didn't hold together for me as a movie though it was interesting watch. 

If I had to break down the summer (having not seen a few big things and a few small things)

Boyhood

Snowpiercer

Calvary

Edge of Tomorrow 

How to Train Your Dragon 2

22 Jump Street

Godzilla

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Life Itself

Neighbors

I liked Guardians as much as DOFP, maybe a little more. Neither would make my 10. But they're solid films.

• Like 1

I'd watch Guardians of the Galaxy any day over Boyhood, I have seen it multiple times now and absolutely love it, but when it comes to actual cinematic quality Boyhood is undoubtedly better.  Not to say I didn't love Boyhood personally, I just personally prefer Guardians when it comes to viewing.  However I recognize Boyhood is easily the better film in many departments.

Also, I forgot Snowpiercer is technically a summer film, i'll edit my lists then

Favorites

1.Guardians

2.Boyhood

3.Snowpiercer

4.Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

5.Days of the Future Past

Best

1.Boyhood

2.Snowpiercer

3.Guardians of the Galaxy

4.Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

5.Days of Future Past

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 2

If we're doing this, here are my 5 favorites:Boyhood22 Jump StreetSnowpiercerEdge of TomorrowHow To Train Your Dragon 2I still missed a lot of smaller stuff, though (Life Itself, Begin Again, Chef, Ida, Calvary, etc.)Calvary does open in my area on Friday, though, and it looks pretty good.

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 1

My 5 favorites of the Summer are:

1. Snowpiercer

2. Guardians of the Galaxy

3. How to Train Your Dragon 2

4. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

5. Edge of Tomorrow

There are still some movies from the Summer I need to see like Boyhood for example. 

• Like 5

I've never liked Ninja Turtles actually...BUT I have noticed tons of good reactions from people my age about it. (remember the Turtles were not liked by older audiences in the 1980s even)

• Like 2

1. Snowpiercer

5. Edge of Tomorrow

There are still some movies from the Summer I need to see like Boyhood for example. 

I haven't seen Snowpiercer, but want to.

Mine:

1. Guardians of the Galaxy

2. X-Men: Days of Future Past

3. Edge of Tomorrow

4. How to Train Your Dragon 2

5. The Amazing Spider-Man 2

• Like 1

1. Snowpiercer

5. Edge of Tomorrow

You liked Snowpiercer over the Cap2 and over Apes and How to Train A Dragon???!