kayumanggi

Weekend numbers thread:TMNT: 28.4 GOTG: 24.7 LBC. 17.7 Ex3: 16.2

Anita Busch is dddrunk

I hate that fake Nikki. 

Who else remembers her comments when Need for Speed was released "Disney’s Need for Speed (DreamWorks) is proving that gamers are hermits and aren’t bringing friends (do they have any that aren’t digitally created in chat boxes?) as this Fast and Furious-lite (it’s a soft PG-13) started off well in late nights and then hit then slowed."

That PG-13 rating certainly expanded this franchise's audience.  15-20m below the opening of the first one!

Leaked hQ movie might also be a part of it.

Even wore in certain other countries, looks loike that will be a big problem for the e.g. Russian numbers too

thats really poor the giver. How many theatres was it released in? 

Friday

NEW IN THEATERS DISTRIBUTOR

RELEASE

The Expendables 3

Action Lionsgate

The Giver

Fantasy Drama Weinstein Company

Let's Be Cops (on Wed.)

Action Comedy Fox

I feel like it's always impossible to prove the impact of piracy. Remember, Taken did nearly $150M despite the fact that a high-quality bootleg was out and about for like an entire year before it opened here.

Well, Taken had a lot in its favor.

[*]No one was really paying attention to it a year in advance 

[*]The film had an appealing hook

[*]Its primary audience is older and likely wouldn't download a bootleg

[*]January-February 2009 was unusually big at the box office 

[*]It was a relatively satisfying movie for that time of year

Although Taken and Paul Blart are definitely in my top 10 for most impressive DOM box office performances of the last 5 years. Nobody thought both would handily top $100 million DOM (along with Gran Torino breaking out) 

I knew The Giver would under-perform and this is mostly on TWC. They do a horrible job of selling any movie that is not an Oscars contender.

If it's not Tarantino or Oscar bait, it's gonna bomb under TWC's care. Definitely could have been a sleeper hit with the right marketing team. 

• Like 1