Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

Might be like spiderverse which didn't do great OS.

If it ends up at 375 technically it should be a success since that one was.

I'm actually shocked how much better Aquaman did overseas than WW. Not because it sucked (it was so much fun) but the numbers almost everywhere we're good then amazing in China.

Edited by cdsacken

14 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

I'm actually shocked how much better Aquaman did overseas than WW. Not because it sucked (it was so much fun) but the numbers almost everywhere we're good then amazing in China.

I think the WW1 setting held it back

Hopefully the 80's setting is more appealing

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Shazam has the advantage that there isn't much out for the next three weeks so I expect it'll be number 1 for that period until Endgame is released. 

In many OS markets its straight up bombing. DOM and possibly China(WOM seems mixed, and opening against local movie with better WOM) might be its saving grace.

• ...wtf 1

As a DC&movie fan Shazam is really interesting when it comes to hype/box offic etc.

I think the release date is pretty great. Especially outside the US movies are done after 3,4 weeks so having 3 free(ish) weeks till Endgame is all it needs overseas.

Add to that Dumbo underperforming and Captain Marvel&Us winding down(again; especially overseas where we will see around 15 million in 60 markets combined for each this coming weekend) and the release shouldnt be a problem.

I get many DC fans(who had to endure some drama&trolling these last few years) who are annoyed by "where was the marketing?" etc&there are some people who just want to stir conflict&get attention with that but I think there is an argument for another big action shot in the 2nd trailer.

Here in Germany the online media&community has seen nothing than positive reviews. A traditional (local) newspaper here gave it a 2 out of 5 this week. Maybe Shazam´s reception will come down (in parts) to your age.  We will see.

Overall Im hyped for the film(will see it tomorrow) and I think we are in for 500+ million worldwide if China alone brings in 100 million.

Everything over 500 million is a worldwide hit&a giant success on that budget. 

Edited by Watchman89
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, LexJoker said:

In many OS markets its straight up bombing. DOM and possibly China(WOM seems mixed, and opening against local movie with better WOM) might be its saving grace.

I imagine Shazam was always going to be skewed more domestic heavy due to being more comedic. It'll probably do better in the English speaking markets. 

Sweden's not really a key market to prove its worth internationally but the audience I saw it with last night did applaud at the end which rarely happens and they were laughing throughout. As long as it's in English and the audience knows the language, I think it works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Shazam has the advantage that there isn't much out for the next three weeks so I expect it'll be number 1 for that period until Endgame is released. 

Hellboy?

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

Sweden's not really a key market to prove its worth internationally but the audience I saw it with last night did applaud at the end which rarely happens and they were laughing throughout. As long as it's in English and the audience knows the language, I think it works.

Well it's made by a Swedish director so y'know I bet there are loads of Sweden specific jokes in the movie so yeah, It will probably do well in Sweden and flop everywhere else.

34 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

summer released is packed,big movie canibalism each other @ OS.....

4 minutes ago, nevermore said:

Hellboy is probably opening in the mid teens. They aren't even screening it for critics.

If Shazam opens to 40M (lower side of tracking) then second weekend drop of -55% is 18M weekend, I believe Hellboy can be competing with that.

2 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Well it's made by a Swedish director so y'know I bet there are loads of Sweden specific jokes in the movie so yeah, It will probably do well in Sweden and flop everywhere else.

The only Swedish specific joke that made the audience laugh is the beer in the movie being named after swedish slang for the word (Bärs), but yeah that's why I said it's not a key market to see how it's working for the international audience. Of course it's gonna work when the director is swedish.

However we don't usually get people applauding at the end of a movie, no matter who directed it.

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

If Shazam opens to 40M (lower side of tracking) then second weekend drop of -55% is 18M weekend, I believe Hellboy can be competing with that.

Don't see why it would drop this much if the reception is as good as reviews suggest.