Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

6 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Does this mean people can stop panicking about what a flop this movie will be? 

With that number, it will surely do good DOM given its budget. But international numbers are not good. That's the reason why some are panicking.

"Internationally, Shazam! has totaled $15.7 million across 53 markets in two days of release. Those figures exclude $16.4 million flash estimates from China’s opening day on Friday, trailing only Aquaman and Batman v Superman among other WB films.

Other Shazam! international opening highlights from the studio include:

• Taking advantage of Wednesday’s Isra Minaj public holiday in the market, Indonesia launched to an estimated IDR 15.9b ($1.1m) from 971 screens, dominating at #1 with a 73% share of the Top 5 films and claiming the 3rd Highest Grossing WB Film Opening Day Ever! These results are also +10% ahead of Ant-Man and more than double Guardians of the Galaxy. The 2 day cume is now IDR 31.5b ($2.2m).
  • Russia debuted to an excellent RMB 62m ($946k) on 3,072 screens with a 57% share of the Top 5 films. These results are tracking on par with Ant-Man, 22% ahead of Wonder Woman and more than double Captain America: The First Avenger.
  • Also taking the top spot with a 40% share of the Top 5 films, Korea debuted on a non- traditional Wednesday to an estimated Won 759m ($668k) from 1,134 screens. These results exceeded opening day numbers for First Avenger by +53% and were on par with Thor. The running cume is now KRW 1.2b ($1.1m).
  • Australia debuted on Thursday to an estimated A$895k ($636k), including previews, on 507 screens with a 48% share of the Top 5 five films. These results are tracking 4% ahead of First Avenger.
  • UAE opened on Thursday to an estimated AED 2.3m ($630k) on 110 screens, dominating the market with over 50% share of the Top 5 films. Opening day is 46% ahead of Wonder Woman, 69% ahead of Ant-Man and more than double Guardians of the Galaxy.
  • Brazil opened to an estimated R$ 2.2m ($564k) on 1,509 screens with over 60% share of the Top 5 films. These opening day results are coming on par with ANT-MAN and 10% over Guardians of the Galaxy. Including previews, the running cume is now R$ 3.3m ($848k).
  • France took in an estimated €366k ($411k) on 566 screens on its opening day, ranking #1 into Thursday. The running cume, including previews, is €691k ($777k).
  • Taiwan dominated the market with 65% share of the Top 5 films, taking in an estimated NT$11.4m ($371k) on Wednesday from 220 screens. These results are +60% ahead of Ant-Man and +55% ahead of Guardians of the Galaxy. Including previews, the 2 day running cume is now NT$40.5m ($1.3m)."

Sounds like it's gonna do around Ant-Man numbers overseas except for some countries (most evidently, China).

https://www.boxofficepro.com/thursday-night-shazam-strikes-5-9m-thursday-night-launch-pet-sematary-digs-up-2-3m-start/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, TheUndertaker said:

Sounds like it's gonna do around Ant-Man numbers overseas except for some countries (most evidently, China).

https://www.boxofficepro.com/thursday-night-shazam-strikes-5-9m-thursday-night-launch-pet-sematary-digs-up-2-3m-start/

They make everything sound so good lol 

Still hoping for around 400m WW

2 minutes ago, Heat Vision said:

Hoping this somehow makes more than Justice League. That film needs to be the lowest DCEU film forever.

I honestly don’t think that was ever possible without China breaking out a bit and it did pretty bad there. They’re saying 50m or so max. And timing domestically with EG tickets hurt as well.

Edited by cax16

4 minutes ago, cax16 said:

They make everything sound so good lol 

Still hoping for around 400m WW

If I may: because those numbers are good. I really dont get this narrative of "oh no, Shazam". 

And its all about WoM. Thats great. My audience here in Germany had a blast.

Im back on monday. We will have a good picture then.

2 minutes ago, Watchman89 said:

If I may: because those numbers are good. I really dont get this narrative of "oh no, Shazam". 

And its all about WoM. Thats great. My audience here in Germany had a blast.

Im back on monday. We will have a good picture then.

It’s not doing well in a lot of the Asian markets that should normally be big for a cbm, and that’s fine, they just didn’t like it.  But hopefully wom can carry it in other places. 

I loved the movie as well so I’m hoping for the best. I’m really glad to hear your audience liked the movie. Have a great weekend! 

It's doing around Ant-Man numbers in Brazil and I can definitely say most people here really liked it. According to BOP it's tracking ahead of GotG but I think audiences liked that one more so it's not gonna be bigger on the weekend (like Ant-Man)

Edited by TheUndertaker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I saw Shazam last night.

Grade: C+

It is going to be forgettable. I'm likely to see it one more time when it hits Netflix just to see if after a few months it has held or hurt itself given the space of time.

The positives are the actor playing Freddie shines in and steals nearly every scene he is in. The final act is fun but the build up to it drags at times.

Middle and End credit sequence. Sequel set up as well. 

My 7:15pm Preview night auditorium(2-D) that seats 400 had about 30 people in it...max.

• Like 1

Shazam!” is a somewhat lower-cost gamble for DC Entertainment following “Wonder Woman” and “Aquaman.” Warner Bros. spent $80 million to produce “Shazam!,” roughly half of what it cost to make “Aquaman” and “Wonder Woman.”

that was from the box office report variety just put out. 

7 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Shazam!” is a somewhat lower-cost gamble for DC Entertainment following “Wonder Woman” and “Aquaman.” Warner Bros. spent $80 million to produce “Shazam!,” roughly half of what it cost to make “Aquaman” and “Wonder Woman.”

that was from the box office report variety just put out. 

Deadline said 100 M, which is it?