Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

1 hour ago, LordNox said:

There are times like this that WB is kicking themselves for previous mistakes. Everything points to Shazam being the better movie compared to Captain Marvel and if Shazam were made in the MCU the buzz would be enormous for it right now. But DC due to past mistakes have a much smaller fanbase than Marvel which means that even when they make a very good movie like Shazam the interest is pretty low because the inbuilt fanbase is too small.

Marvel has reached such high level of trust and so many fans that even when they make a mediocre movie the level of interest is so high that the movie inevitable explodes. 

While for DC it isn't enough for the movie to be great, the audiences will continue to see DC as the lesser version of Marvel. It will take years for DC to change this reception and to grow a fanbase. 

1 hour ago, LordNox said:

Spiderman made huge numbers at the box office. 

And that is why i pointed out that WB is kicking themselves right now. If they hadn't made all kinds of mistakes at the beginning they would have a big inbuilt fanbase. The interest was there, but too many bad movies were made which made DC lose a lot of trust.

Aquaman made 1.1b and made more then 15/21 marvel movies(or however many they have made now). In the end the audience sees what they wanna see. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 2

The film was surprisingly good! I was very surprised and had a fun time. Also Shazam is more ambitious then the trailers lets on. The chemistry between everyone was great (Levi and Grazer were fantastic) and the film had lots of heart. I also had problems hearing lines a few times because the audience I was with was laughing too hard. There's some iffy CGI but I didn't mind. The soundtrack reminded me of Superman.

It pretty much is Goonies meets Superman.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Exactly my point. Captain Marvel was shamed because it wasn't as good as Black Panther (Best of all marvel films imo). Shazam is lauded as charming because it's good and much better than the weak opening that people are predicting. Way different expectations. Hopefully it blows them out of the water and opens to like 90 million.

2 hours ago, LordNox said:

There are times like this that WB is kicking themselves for previous mistakes. Everything points to Shazam being the better movie compared to Captain Marvel and if Shazam were made in the MCU the buzz would be enormous for it right now. But DC due to past mistakes have a much smaller fanbase than Marvel which means that even when they make a very good movie like Shazam the interest is pretty low because the inbuilt fanbase is too small.

Marvel has reached such high level of trust and so many fans that even when they make a mediocre movie the level of interest is so high that the movie inevitable explodes. 

While for DC it isn't enough for the movie to be great, the audiences will continue to see DC as the lesser version of Marvel. It will take years for DC to change this reception and to grow a fanbase. 

So Aquaman could have made 2 billion you're saying?  

• Haha 1

Not unexpected for first tracking numbers. With more buzz building around social media reactions, reviews and previews, that should climb to mid-50's by opening week. And a slight over-performance on OW could mean low 60's. That's pretty much what I'm expecting. And about a 2.8 multi to take it to around 175 (based on reactions so far I would say higher than that, but there's no getting around what's coming after Shazam. Everything I've read about Shazam indicates a movie that opens lower than its full potential but has a leggy, wom-driven run. But I can't see how Endgame doesn't obliterate Shazam's late legs).

I'm basically seeing this as Ant Man - but maybe slightly lower OS and with a lower budget. A win, either way, especially if it leaves audiences wanting more.

• Like 1

Just now, NamakFiskKa said:

Variety is seeing halves this will open 80m+

I can only hope. Would love it if it opened that high

1 minute ago, AndyK said:

Has SH movie opened less than 65?

Spider-Verse. Fant4stic if we're just counting live-action Marvel/DC