Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

10 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Of course one can say Catwoman is their favorite as well. Besides personal opinion, I meant overall ranking wise I doubt this even sniffs top 5 much less 1. Looks like a fun enjoyable film and I can't wait to see it.

Overall ranking wise? According to what? YOUR subjective opinion? 

1 hour ago, Bane Cook said:

Overall ranking wise? According to what? YOUR subjective opinion? 

Subjective or not, take the emotion out of it. I like DC and Marvel films, personally I want both to succeed. Hell I predicted 276 DOM for this film. However best ever superhero film ever seems crazy. If that is the expectation people want to set I'm sure most will be disappointed so I choose not.

It's her opinion she can express it but I don't have to believe it's correct.

Edited by cdsacken

3 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Subjective or not, take the emotion out of it. I like DC and Marvel films, personally I want both to succeed. Hell I predicted 276 DOM for this film. However best ever superhero film ever seems crazy. If that is the expectation people want to set I'm sure most will be disappointed so I choose not.

It's her opinion she can express it but I don't have to believe it's correct.

They didn't say best ever SuperHero film, read it again.

Shazam will probably be a great movie, that's how I feel quality-wise.

Box office-wise I'm far less certain, sandwiched between Captain Marvel and Endgame + no Justice League boost ala Aquaman...I'm not saying it's gonna flop but I expect a moderate success, somewhere between $600-800m and that'd be a great start anyway (look at Wonder Woman which did similarly).

16 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Shazam will probably be a great movie, that's how I feel quality-wise.

Box office-wise I'm far less certain, sandwiched between Captain Marvel and Endgame + no Justice League boost ala Aquaman...I'm not saying it's gonna flop but I expect a moderate success, somewhere between $600-800m and that'd be a great start anyway (look at Wonder Woman which did similarly).

A $80 million budget movie doing these numbers wouldn't be a moderate success, but a smash hit.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, AndyK said:

They didn't say best ever SuperHero film, read it again.

What does that exempt specifically? Modern era seems like the last 50 or so. Not the Donner films or older I guess?

Frankly I am expecting to be less fun than Aquaman, would love to be shocked.

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

There’s no way Aquaman received any significant boost from JL. It did as well as it did partly because it was seen as the big event film of the holidays. 

Agreed, Justice League didn't do anyone favors. Aquaman was great on it's own, or in spite of JL.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

What does that exempt specifically? Modern era seems like the last 50 or so. Not the Donner films or older I guess?

Frankly I am expecting to be less fun than Aquaman, would love to be shocked.

SHAZAM! is the best superhero movie in the modern era about living in a world where superheroes exist

In other worlds, its a story seen from the perspective of the average Joe where Superheros actually exist in their world.

and its the best movie done like that and the only movie done like that, therefore the best one by default. 

5 minutes ago, AndyK said:

In other worlds, its a story seen from the perspective of the average Joe where Superheros actually exist in their world.

and its the best movie done like that and the only movie done like that, therefore the best one by default. 

Eh. I think Spider-Man: Homecoming would also count. 

13 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

There’s no way Aquaman received any significant boost from JL. It did as well as it did partly because it was seen as the big event film of the holidays

Wasn't that MPR? :sparta:

Obviously Aquaman received a boost from JL, the fact that JL underperformed doesn't change that. The presales for Shazam are certainly illuminating: it doesn't look like the previews are anywhere near sold out yet, and normal presales are low. Aquaman, on the other hand, kept adding previews and had much stronger numbers on Fandango (for normal shows).

We will see how much Shazam makes in early previews but the hype seems low despite great social media reactions. That is why DC walking away completely from the "franchise" continuity gimmick could be counter-productive at the box office.

• Knock It Off 1

41 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

There’s no way Aquaman received any significant boost from JL. It did as well as it did partly because it was seen as the big event film of the holidays. 

47 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Justice League boost? I don't even think enough people had seen Justice League for Aquaman to receive a boost.

Aquaman went from being a nobody among the audience to being featured in a $700m (or something like that) movie, that's definitely a boost in terms of name recognition.

25 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Obviously Aquaman received a boost from JL, the fact that JL underperformed doesn't change that. The presales for Shazam are certainly illuminating: it doesn't look like the previews are anywhere near sold out yet, and normal presales are low. Aquaman, on the other hand, kept adding previews and had much stronger numbers on Fandango (for normal shows).

Did Aquaman and Shazam start normal presales at the same time? 

9 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Aquaman went from being a nobody among the audience to being featured in a $700m (or something like that) movie, that's definitely a boost in terms of name recognition.

If only Justice League had actually gotten to $700 million :Venom:

1 hour ago, AndyK said:

Ah thanks for the clarification.