Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

12 hours ago, nevermore said:

Fantastic news for Shazam. It's pretty much flop proof with that kind of budget.

It is, but if it makes less than 600 million worldwide (and less than JL domestically), the "DCEU IS DEAD!!" articles will pour in... 

2019 is definitely looking like a brand-stabilizing year for DC movies, looking to maximise profitability by going with lower scale movies, fairly unique in the superhero landscape, thus branching out for the brand. WB/DC smart on that front, but the movies also need to deliver quality, otherwise we'll be back to square one before WW84

23 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

It is, but if it makes less than 600 million worldwide (and less than JL domestically), the "DCEU IS DEAD!!" articles will pour in... 

Which shouldn't be taken seriously because why assume that a Shazam movie would easily outgross something like Ant-Man? They are literally on the same C-D List. Shazam wasn't even called Shazam until 7 years back.

If it manages to break out like an Aquaman or GOTG then cool, but why keep that as an expectation? Even Venom, a bonafide smash, couldn't beat JL domestically.

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

Which shouldn't be taken seriously because why assume that a Shazam movie would easily outgross something like Ant-Man? They are literally on the same C-D List. Shazam wasn't even called Shazam until 7 years back.

If it manages to break out like an Aquaman or GOTG then cool, but why keep that as an expectation? Even Venom, a bonafide smash, couldn't beat JL domestically.

Because - as much as some people on here claim it's just DC stans playing victims - there IS a bit of a bias in the reporting for DC projects on most "geek" sites, and that just feeds the narrative. Goalposts for DC movies seem to constantly move. I look forward to Captain Marvel outgrowing Wonder Woman and that turning into "DC left money in the table with WW! JUST LIKE BVS!!" I do hope I'm wrong, but I am a bit of a pessimist... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

Because - as much as some people on here claim it's just DC stans playing victims - there IS a bit of a bias in the reporting for DC projects on most "geek" sites, and that just feeds the narrative. Goalposts for DC movies seem to constantly move. I look forward to Captain Marvel outgrowing Wonder Woman and that turning into "DC left money in the table with WW! JUST LIKE BVS!!" I do hope I'm wrong, but I am a bit of a pessimist... 

And if Captain Marvel does Ant-Man/Doctor Strange numbers it will be defended until the end. God forbid Wonder Woman would have made less than 700 million.

On 1/19/2019 at 5:52 PM, Spidey Freak said:

If Shazam origin out gross Ant Man sequel, isn't it bad on Marvel. And that's when AM & TW was well received and MCU is much bigger internationally.

Still can't believe AM & TW finalled under $275mn domestically and $750mn worldwide.