CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

It's hard to get excited about anything from DC tbh. They just throw everything at the wall and see what sticks. I'm looking forward to James Gunn's Suicide Squad and they peaked my interest in bringing Keaton Batman back but that will still be a wait and see. 

I disliked BvS and the characterization of Superman in it but I've always thought Cavill deserved a second shot with a writer/director that was better suited for the character than Snyder. Unfortunately I guess that probably won't happen. 

12 minutes ago, 35MM-18 said:

Jenkins is doing Rogue Squadron for 2023, so I think Wonder Woman 3 will probably come 2025.

I wouldn't assume that Star Wars is happening "first" for Jenkins any more than any other project.  It's all about what gets to the starting line first -- developed, ready, the studio feels confident.  We've had quite a few "announced" Star Wars projects in the last few years that have not amounted to anything, so...let's wait and see!  (Yes, I know Warner/DC have "announced" many that didn't happen, as well...)

Edited by Macleod
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TMP said:

I'm fine as long as it's not Calvin Ellis. Black Clark Kent would be ideal, but Val-Zod could work too. Just... no to "Obama-inspired" Superman, please. Don't wanna see Superman commit war crimes on film.

Black Clark Kent in Indiana. Hell no

I find the negative reactions stemming from 3 different avenues funneling together fascinating:

(1) the expected reactionaries, lets not talk about them again.

(2) folks who have a strong opinion of J.J. Abrams, especially after his last movie. If the dude is hoping to achieve the Nerd Trinity of Outrage after Star Trek and Star Wars with D.C.....he might get it. 

(3) Snyder fans finally recognizing that after 8 years, a MOS solo sequel aint happening. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mango said:

It's hard to get excited about anything from DC tbh. They just throw everything at the wall and see what sticks. I'm looking forward to James Gunn's Suicide Squad and they peaked my interest in bringing Keaton Batman back but that will still be a wait and see. 

I disliked BvS and the characterization of Superman in it but I've always thought Cavill deserved a second shot with a writer/director that was better suited for the character than Snyder. Unfortunately I guess that probably won't happen. 

I'm reminded of that 70s/80s era of Disney movies pre-Eisner where they indeed were just guessing what people wanted/liked, which produced alot of fascinating films that wouldn't get produced today. "Oh kids like space movies now? Let's do a haunted house film set in space, with an ending where the heroes metaphorically die and go to heaven! No, we're sober. Why are you asking?" 

• Like 1

Can't we just have the bright, shiny, "aw shucks" farmboy Supes once in this millenium?  I'll eat my hat if that's what gets written by this team...

I mean, if we need Grim Dark in the movie, just do an actual World's Finest team up with Batman and skip the whole "they need to fight each other" plot...

They tried reinventing Superman with the Snyder movies, and while I personally am willing to defend Man of Steel, to say that Snyder’s take was polarizing is understatement. At this point, we need a traditional Superman movie that is optimistic and upbeat through and through, and I don’t trust Coates or Abrams to deliver that.

As hated as Whedon’s JL is (and Whedon in general these days), he certainly made the effort of giving us a more traditional Superman, and I wish Henry Cavill would get another chance to do that properly. One more solo movie that gives the character a decent and hopeful send-off would’ve been nice. An anti-Logan, essentially. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Can't we just have the bright, shiny, "aw shucks" farmboy Supes once in this millenium?  I'll eat my hat if that's what gets written by this team...

The new CW show ‘Superman & Lois’ is basically that. I’ve not been a fan of the other Berlanti shows so far, but the pilot episode grabbed me enough to keep watching, and it seems to be in its own universe so you don’t need to be caught up on all the other Berlanti shows to follow it.

• Like 1

Snyder went off the deep end. Everyone knows this. That is not the reinvention that was needed. Making Superman "cool" doesn't mean edgy and dark or changing his skin color. So many different angles to take it. 

The idea of making Superman black isn't some crazy new development that's only come about because DC hates Cavill or wants to be PC or whatever. 

WB have been toying with the idea of a black Superman ever since Will Smith was the first person to be offered the role in Tim Burton's Superman Lives.

He rejected it because of the negative fan backlash he got when he was first announced as playing a previously white character in Wild Wild West. (Amazing to think that fanboys were so entitled then, glad to know thing have changed. lol)

Also, what I've heard from people who've seen the numbers is that Superman has a much higher percentage of brand awareness/engagement amongst non-Americans and non-white Americans (especially Black Americans) than with white Americans.

So ultimately this is just good business sense.

Edited by TerwillikerInst
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, TerwillikerInst said:

Also, what I've heard from people who've seen the numbers is that Superman has a much higher percentage of brand awareness/engagement amongst non-Americans and non-white Americans (especially Black Americans) than with white Americans.

So ultimately this is just good business sense.

Well, that brand awareness among non-Americans clearly didn't translate into amazing boxoffice. International aka non-American numbers:

Superman Returns (2006) $191M. this was before SH mania and still very low compared to Spiderman's $418M in 2002, Spiderman 2's $415M in 2004 and Spiderman 3's $558M in 2007. Lel, even Iron Man in 2008 made 266M and and that was a literal who character to many GA

MoS (2013) 377M vs GOTG (2014) a literal who brand even to many rabid CB fans let alone GA that mustered $439M. 

Point being, Superman so far didn't post extraordinary boxoffice numbers internationally so if awareness is better outside of America how bad is it in America? 

Edited by Valonqar