CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

5 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

THR put this article out on the Monday BEFORE BA came out. 

Fair enough on the secret movie part, but.... Ehhhh on the rest.

Black Adam didn't have a great (or even all that good for that matter) OW at 67m.  Initial CinemaScore wasn't that great, either, at B+, which didn't portend a great leggy run.

Announcement didn't help, no.  But don't think it was a determinate factor between success and failure of a Rock-led DCEU.  That was largely already baked into the cake by that point, IMO.

Not that we'll ever know for sure, of course.

Edited by Porthos

This discourse is so silly. Call things as they are and don't down play. Had the "Snyderverse" continued", here is what would have happened:

The Flash would have been a mild "meh" run instead of the mega flop it was. 

Aquaman 2 is no doubt a solid, certified global hit with a Dune 2 sequel gross. 

Cavill's Superman returning to fight The Rock's Black Adam would be themes hyped film of Sumer 2024 if the WB had actually made it.

Who knows where they go with Wonder Woman.

I think Gunn's Superman sounds really promising and I am excited for it. Anyone acting like Cavill returning the role to fight to The Rock's Black Adam would be anything other than really hyped up event film is being a bit ridiculous. Especially given how flat the slate of summer blockbuster films has ended up looking. Could easily see a $125-140m opening for that type of film which is obviously tremendous by 2024 standards.

Edited by excel1

3 hours ago, eddyxx said:

Would it bother people if James Gunn used popular music in this movie the way he did with the last 4 comic book movies that he directed?

Hey, I would be dissapointed if he did'nt. That has become one of his trade marks. See no reason why it could not work  with Superman.

My favorite musical scene in a Gunn film was the fight to "Just a Little Bit CLoser" in GOTG 2.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Fair enough on the secret movie part, but.... Ehhhh on the rest.

Black Adam didn't have a great (or even all that good for that matter) OW at 67m.  Initial CinemaScore wasn't that great, either, at B+, which didn't portend a great leggy run.

Announcement didn't help, no.  But don't think it was a determinate factor between success and failure of a Rock-led DCEU.  That was largely already baked into the cake by that point, IMO.

Not that we'll ever know for sure, of course.

My loss o respect for Johnson is based not so much on the film itself, but on the whole way he handled it's  not very good reception.

His attempts to prove it was some kind of great sucess were just pathetic.

16 minutes ago, excel1 said:

This discourse is so silly. Call things as they are and don't down play. Had the "Snyderverse" continued", here is what would have happened:

Cavill's Superman returning to fight The Rock's Black Adam would be themes hyped film of Sumer 2024 if the WB had actually made it.

I think Gunn's Superman sounds really promising and I am excited for it. Anyone acting like Cavill returning the role to fight to The Rock's Black Adam would be anything other than really hyped up event film is being a bit ridiculous. Especially given how flat the slate of summer blockbuster films has ended up looking. Could easily see a $125-140m opening for that type of film which is obviously tremendous by 2024 standards.

In hindsight WB should have done a full reboot after Justice League failure. Their last 8 movies flopped so hard. Even though Aquaman was a hit, burning everything to the ground after JL would have made the upcoming reboot less painful.

joker-burning.gif

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, excel1 said:

I’m sorry but I doubt any of this would’ve happened. Wonder Woman was super popular and the clear standout of the DCEU, Aquaman was the highest grossing, and Shazam was very well-received even if it wasn’t huge. Beyond that the response was mediocre at best. And then all three franchises lost their luster with their poor sequels. I doubt the box office of the DCEU in 2023 would’ve been any different if they didn’t give up on it.

I think this new universe is coming WAY too late to actually catch on, but the Black Adam Cinematic Universe would’ve been terrible in terms of both box office and quality.

Edited by Speedorito
  • Like 1

I mean it's too late now but I think James Gunn should've announced the end of the current DCEU instead of trying be all coy about it and announced a big finale movie that would wrap up the current universe. It would of course be animated but at least it would bring some closure. All of the unreleased movies would play a role in building up to said movie. This would make it so they could bring back just about everyone as voice actors and anyone who they weren't able to bring back for whatever reason, they could just recast. They could also end it with a glimpse through the multiverse that ended on a new Earth that would be the upcoming DCU.

Edited by poweranimals

2 hours ago, poweranimals said:

I mean it's too late now but I think James Gunn should've announced the end of the current DCEU instead of trying be all coy about it and announced a big finale movie that would wrap up the current universe. It would of course be animated but at least it would bring some closure. All of the unreleased movies would play a role in building up to said movie. This would make it so they could bring back just about everyone as voice actors and anyone who they weren't able to bring back for whatever reason, they could just recast. They could also end it with a glimpse through the multiverse that ended on a new Earth that would be the upcoming DCU.

FWIW, took my reply to this to the WB thread so we'd stop clogging this one up with all of this What If navel gazing. 🙂 

(might be interesting What If navel gazing, but probably is past time to take it to a more... fitting thread)

On 4/9/2024 at 1:05 AM, Belakor said:

I also doubt this is going to surpass MoS at the BO, regardless of the quality.

Maybe 4 years ago, for now I see Black Adam numbers. 

I don't think it will do that bad. James Gunn has the support of the critics and the comic book nerd community, so it will have a positive media coverage instead of the scrutiny MOS and BVS faced. David Zaslav is apparently investing a ton of money in the 2024-2025 theatrical slate to make sure they're successful so WB becomes more valuable to sell, so Superman will likely have a massive marketing campaign. Thanks to inflation, Superman only needs around 75% of Man Of Steel's attendance to reach the same $291 million at the domestic box office. In Latin America, DC exploded in popularity post-MOS. And on top of that, James Gunn is a really good and creative filmmaker, so there's no way this movie is awful like The Flash or generic, disposable garbage like Blue Beetle. Aquaman 2 making $434 million worldwide despite everything it faced goes to show there's still an audience for the popular comic book characters. The only way I see Superman doing less than $400m is if Gunn and WB go for the wrong tone (a movie way too unserious, with childish humour) but I doubt that's the case because his movies have a lot of heart. I'm more concerned about the other projects in the DCU, right now I'm confident Superman will be successful.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Huh, odd choice, could be interesting.

I always think of Constantine seeing him though. I know he's done much more, but that's what stuck with me.

• Astonished 1

On 4/11/2024 at 10:20 AM, Napoleon said:

, so it will have a positive media coverage instead of the scrutiny MOS and BVS faced

I agree with all of the rest of the comment but I really recall Man of Steel having this sort of goodwill baked in (remember how much MoS sold the Nolan connection in early marketing). The execution was genuinely divisive and I don't think the press running interference would solve that problem. The (unfairly framed) "Let normal people die, Clark" stuff was clearly considered in hollywood to be a major problem for the film and we still see films go out of their way to avoid another such scenario (big destructive punch-em-ups in city centers where people are clearly dying by the thousands). 

11 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

Fascinating choice for Pa Kent. A career character actor, mostly on TV. I don't have a problem with it.

I guess they're going to go to the "Old Ma and Pa Kent" route...which is...I suppose...refreshing?  But also antiquated a bit... but I'm sure Gunn has his ideas...  Kurt Russell for JOR-EL, then??  😁