Filmovie

Weekend Numbers: Official Estimates - Fury: 23,5 mln - GG: 17,2 mln - TBOL: 17 mln - Best of Me: 10,2 mln

I have a feeling American Beauty would get a bit more shit if it came out today, but that might be due to all the awful clones it's inspired. Really that whole "Suburbanites are darker than they seem" shit is one of the worst sub-genres.

It did spawn desperate housewives to Suburgatory........so it does have a lot to answer for

These days it's a lose-lose situation every time a "prestige" film doesn't get any critical support. Both arthouse and multiplex audiences are going to bail on it and inevitably find other films to watch. MW&C seems like a textbook case.

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 2

It was always going to go wide. You'd think there'd be an audience for a film exploring contemporary angst with a huge ensemble cast (after all, American Beauty adjusts to $200m.) I wonder if Paramount knew they had a turkey on their hands and literally just threw it into October to make it seem like there was promise here. They really downplayed the film's release.

I'm guessing none of you have actually seen it. The critics were wrong in my opinion. It's not GREAT, but it's pretty darn good. And it's not anti-technology in any way. 

Edit: seriously, calling it the "reefer madness" of the digital age is such a reductive conclusion that I have to call into question the credentials and/or intelligence of anyone who actually watches the movie and believes that. 

The film explores the negative AND positive effects of these different technologies on people's lives. 

Edited by tonytr87

I'm guessing none of you have actually seen it. The critics were wrong in my opinion. It's not GREAT, but it's pretty darn good. And it's not anti-technology in any way.

Edit: seriously, calling it the "reefer madness" of the digital age is such a reductive conclusion that I have to call into question the credentials and/or intelligence of anyone who actually watches the movie and believes that.

The film explores the negative AND positive effects of these different technologies on people's lives.

You'd think Paramount's marketing wouldn't play up the "New Media Are Evil" aspect if it doesn't really ring true to the rest of the film, especially if it ends up working against them.

• Like 1

You'd think Paramount's marketing wouldn't play up the "New Media Are Evil" aspect if it doesn't really ring true to the rest of the film, especially if it ends up working against them.

I mean, yes, there are characters whose lives are negatively affected by new media, but, for example, Jennifer Garner's character is the embodiment of the "fear of new media" and if there's a villain in the movie, she's it. 

• Like 1

I mean, yes, there are characters whose lives are negatively affected by new media, but, for example, Jennifer Garner's character is the embodiment of the "fear of new media" and if there's a villain in the movie, she's it.

Hmm...something must have gotten badly lost in translation then. I'm still interested in seeing it on DVD though.

• Like 1