grim22

Wknd Estimates: Nolan = 50M | BH6 = 56M+(pg 72) (who cares, our forum lives!)

No, I got that part.  What I was trying to figure out was the math behind this:

Frozen would have made roughly 80M+ had it had a normal 3 day opening instead of the 5 day Thanksgiving week.

If you go with 67 as the 3-day total for Frozen minus the earlier two days, I'm uncertain how removing those first two days would have resulted in an extra 13m plus in revenue over the 3-day period.

opening 2 days earlier takes away more money through the rush-factor than it brings in through WOM

so the hypothecial 3 day OW would probably be between the real 5 day  and the real 3day OW

In completely unrelated news: I am totally in love with Days of Future Past!! Just watched it last night…  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

If we count Big Hero 6 as a quasi Marvel movie, then Marvel's 4 for 5 for me this year. Much comics. So gold.

Cap and GOTG are still my top CBM movies for me. Cap's my personal favorite, but I think GOTG's the (slightly) better film. 

• Like 1

RTH right on the money

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/final-box-office-interstellar-falls-746611

Final numbers show Christopher Nolan's Interstellar falling short of its projected $50 million debut at the North American box office. The space opus earned $47.5 million for the weekend, putting its five-day launch at $49.7 million.

Either way, Disney's Big Hero 6 remains the victor with roughly $56 million in ticket sales, continuing Disney Animation Studios' winning streak following Frozen and Wreck-It Ralph.

• Like 4

Paramount believes Interstellar will have strong legs. "Interstellar received a B+ CinemaScore, just like Inception. Christopher Nolan doesn't make the most straightforward movies. They are compelling and sophisticated, and our assumption is that, similar to Inception, this movie will play for a very, very long time," said Paramount vice chairman Rob Moore.

If they are counting on Inception legs, then they are making the wrong assumption. Inception had great WOM but it also had little competition. Even if it has great WOM (not likely), Interstellar is going to get hit pretty hard by Mockingjay.

If they are counting on Inception legs, then they are making the wrong assumption. Inception had great WOM but it also had little competition. Even if it has great WOM (not likely), Interstellar is going to get hit pretty hard by Mockingjay.

Eh, what else is he going to say? Of course they're going to put a positive spin on it.

• Like 4

In no particular order. My five would be...

Boyhood

Gone Girl

Interstellar

Nightcrawler

Grand Budapest Hotel

Other notable mentions:

The Imitation Game, Edge of Tomorrow, GOTG, ROTPOTA, Lego Movie, Locke, Calvary, 22 Jump Street, Starred Up, The Raid 2, Godzilla, Pride, Maps to the Stars, Fault in Our Stars, X-Men, A Most Wanted Man, Winter Soldier, HTTYD2

Cannot wait to see Birdman