grim22

Wknd Estimates: Nolan = 50M | BH6 = 56M+(pg 72) (who cares, our forum lives!)

The BH6 opening just goes to show how strong Frozen actually was last year. Frozen would have made roughly 80M+ had it had a normal 3 day opening instead of the 5 day Thanksgiving week.

Wait, I'm a bit confused as to what you're saying.  Frozen did 67m for its opening weekend.  Are you saying if it hadn't been open those two extra days it would somehow have gotten an extra 13m?

Not questioning the logic, just trying to make sure I understand what you're saying.

• Like 1

Wait, I'm a bit confused as to what you're saying.  Frozen did 67m for its opening weekend.  Are you saying if it hadn't been open those two extra days it would somehow have gotten an extra 13m?

Not questioning the logic, just trying to make sure I understand what you're saying.

Frozen had a 5-day OW. The 67 is for day 3-5.

Frozen had a 5-day OW. The 67 is for day 3-5.

No, I got that part.  What I was trying to figure out was the math behind this:

Frozen would have made roughly 80M+ had it had a normal 3 day opening instead of the 5 day Thanksgiving week.

If you go with 67 as the 3-day total for Frozen minus the earlier two days, I'm uncertain how removing those first two days would have resulted in an extra 13m plus in revenue over the 3-day period.

Edited by Sal

Yup, I am just using the adjust formulas from HSX. A movie which opens on Wednesday has already burned off some demand which would have otherwise gone to the weekend. Everyone who saw a movie on Wednesday and Thursday won't see it on the weekend normally, so at HSX they have devised a formula for movie openings (mainly for stock adjusts). Using that puts a 67 3-day and 93 5-day totals equate to a 83M 3-day OW without the extra 2 days of showtimes.

No, I got that part.  What I was trying to figure out was the math behind this:

Frozen would have made roughly 80M+ had it had a normal 3 day opening instead of the 5 day Thanksgiving week.

If you go with 67 as the 3-day total for Frozen minus the earlier two days, I'm uncertain how removing those first two days would have resulted in an extra 13m plus in revenue over the 3-day period.

Coz those first two days took away the "rush factor" from the weekend (the audiences who had to see it ASAP). grimm is just estimating the additional number for the weekend (which I think is a good guess). Could have been less than 13M or could have been more (which, seeing how it was Frozen, would've been more likely). 

Coz those first two days took away the "rush factor" from the weekend (the audiences who had to see it ASAP). grimm is just estimating the additional number for the weekend (which I think is a good guess). Could have been less than 13M or could have been more (which, seeing how it was Frozen, would've been more likely). 

Ah, okay.  But does it make a difference that it's a four day holiday?  When I was growing up, my family had some adult family member take the kids to the theatre on Thanksgiving to get them out from underfoot while cooking was going on.

50 looks a hell of a lot better than 4X for the Sunday morning tweets and announcements.

I agree

In future statistical comparisons, there would be mentioning of IS as an over $50m opener who came in second to BH6

that is free advertising