Olive

Weekend Numbers THG: 123, BH6 20.1, IS 15.1 pg 205

All the studio films are cash grabs from the studio bosses and the investors perspective. But the people in charge of the creative process such as the director, screenwriter and even the producers might do the project for artistic reasons. So blockbusters can have artistic merit the same way other films have, even if their ultimate purpose is to make profit.

• Like 5

Every film is made to make money, but certain films take big risks that make it harder for them to make money. Anything that Kubrick and Scorsese did/do fall into that category, imo.

I understand what you are saying, but on the flipside, do you think (for example) WB bought the rites to Pileggi's book, hired Scorcese, got the amazing cast that it did, spent money scouting perfect locations, marketed it like they did and then just before it was released, they said, "Fuck if we make money, Goodfellas is just a great story.  This is just for people to watch.  In fact, let's screen it for free."

When a film is made, there are hundreds of people who works 1000's of hours on the film.  There has to be a level of commitment to that.  That doesn't scream apathy to me, it means that there is passion behind what they are doing.  A film like The Shining or Interstellar is just as much a cash grab as a film like the fourth part of any franchise,.  

I disagree with that sentence. Since you brought up Nolan, I'd love for you to explain to me how he cared just as much about what he did with TDKR as he did with Inception, a movie he wanted to make for 10+ years.

I disagree with that sentence. Since you brought up Nolan, I'd love for you to explain to me how he cared just as much about what he did with TDKR as he did with Inception, a movie he wanted to make for 10+ years.

You're picking two different things here.  Nolan makes films for passion, no doubt.  But he is not the one financing them and that's where the business comes in.

There are horror movies that go straight to DVD that also are passion projects by the writers and directors, but once the studio or whoever it is that finances the film, gets involved, then it is done so for money.

• Like 2

I think we have different ideas of what the term "cash grab" means. Coolio is right.

This is definitely the issue here...I don't agree with Baumer's meaning of cash grab...Cash grab is direct to video American Pie 17, not every movie ever made.

I understand what you are saying, but on the flipside, do you think (for example) WB bought the rites to Pileggi's book, hired Scorcese, got the amazing cast that it did, spent money scouting perfect locations, marketed it like they did and then just before it was released, they said, "Fuck if we make money, Goodfellas is just a great story.  This is just for people to watch.  In fact, let's screen it for free."

No, I agree with you. However, I still think that there were a few risks involved with Goodfellas (in terms of its violence/language/and ending) that could've backfired on WB and cost them money. Same thing with Interstellar. Obviously, Paramount and WB wanted money there. They hired Nolan, who had been BO gold up until that point, casted the best actors and actresses in the world, targeted a big release date for BO and Oscars, and pours a lot of money into state of the arts visuals. However, at the same time, they took a few risks with that film (little action, a lot of science, long runtime) which could've backfired (and partially did).

In comparison, there are other blockbusters that aren't as risky to me. I honestly don't know if THG: MJ1 falls into that category, but some do.

• Like 2

Interstellar's an interesting case because with all the WB and Paramount mingling you could say that their motives were based on a future association with Nolan as much as pure profit on the film itself.

Edited by Untitled Hatebox Project
  • Like 3

Coolio is wrong.  It's not an opinion.

Why isn't it an opinion? The term is not something that has been officially defined anywhere; its meaning is dictated by what people believe it to be. I really don't feel that many people think the term "cash grab" means any product ever released. If that were the case, then the term would be void of all purpose, since it is necessarily true for every single film. People wouldn't use it, because it wouldn't distinguish one film from any other.

• Like 3