Olive

Official Weekend Est: MJ1 56.9M Penguins 25.8m BH6 18.77m Interstellar 15.8M

Compared to Social Network, Toy Story 3 and HTTYD1, King's Speech is horribly mediocre.

It could have been a BBC made for TV movie and no one would be able to tell the difference

I disagree.  The director lets the scenes go on for a long time between Firth and Rush, and we get absorbed into the story because of it.  The first time Firth and Rush meet in the office the scene literally goes on for 5 minutes straight.  When watching that scene in a movie theater I was surprised how long the director let them interact before cutting to some other scene.  There are other times in the movie where Firth and Rush talk for 5 minutes straight.  In The Social Network, Fincher makes sure to make every scene lasts no more than 45 seconds before moving onto something else.    

• Like 2

The bottom line is, TSN is a film for the generation of today while TKS, like most films that win the Oscars, are films that appeal more to older skewing adults.  This has been going on for decades.  Jaws/Cuckoo's Nest, Raiders/Chariots of Fire, ET/Gandhi and so on and so on.  I don't think TSN is all that great, but then again, I'm not 20 years old anymore.

• Like 1

The bottom line is, TSN is a film for the generation of today while TKS, like most films that win the Oscars, are films that appeal more to older skewing adults. This has been going on for decades. Jaws/Cuckoo's Nest, Raiders/Chariots of Fire, ET/Gandhi and so on and so on. I don't think TSN is all that great, but then again, I'm not 20 years old anymore.

Cuckoo's Nest is a bad example. It doesn't feel like something older adults would normally get pumped about. It also deserved its BP win - wouldn't mind a Jaws win but Cuckoo's Nest has its merits

E.T. and Raiders of the Lost Ark both should have won. Same for BTTF, Goodfellas, The Exorcist, Cool Hand Luke/Bonnie and Clyde, 2001, Clockwork Orange, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull/The Shining, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Mary Poppins, Fight Club, etc

The most timeless films don't usually win BP - just seems to be how it is

Edited by mahnamahna

Disjointed is a really surprising criticism in regards to the social network. don't think I've heard that one before. That things flows like a motherfucker.

It moves at a blistering pace, yes...but that blistering pace removes yourself a little from the film on an emotional level.  Constant back and forth cutbacks between the story and the lawyers at the table every minute is a little too much.

• Like 1

It moves at a blistering pace, yes...but that blistering pace removes yourself a little from the film on an emotional level.  Constant back and forth cutbacks between the story and the lawyers at the table every minute is a little too much.

I agree, in is difficult to get invested on the characters or the story, the film is very cold. Social Network had other issues as well but because of this it is not very memorable.

• Like 3

The bottom line is, TSN is a film for the generation of today while TKS, like most films that win the Oscars, are films that appeal more to older skewing adults.  This has been going on for decades.  Jaws/Cuckoo's Nest, Raiders/Chariots of Fire, ET/Gandhi and so on and so on.  I don't think TSN is all that great, but then again, I'm not 20 years old anymore.

I dunno B, it's a drama written by Sorkin and directed by Fincher.  It's got tons of people just talking to each other.  With the way Sorkin writes, you have to pay attention to what they say because they say it fast.  That's not really a recipe for bringing in young people.

• Like 3

I kinda think this idea that fincher is a cold filmmaker is a bit of a lazy opinion. I think there's plenty of emotion to be had in the majority of his films, but they're just quiet about it.

Agreed. The 'cold' accusations that fly around about a number of directors on here should probably be put to bed. And shot.

I enjoyed The King's Speech quite a bit but then again I'm drawn to these types of films anyway. Geoffrey Rush never disappoints and Colin Firth was fantastic as the reluctant successor who really wasn't equipped to take the throne. The actors definitely made the film along with the subject matter a part of English history that often gets overlooked.

Social Network was not my cup of tea in theory but the movie itself was very well done. I thought it was tight and well acted as well. It was definitely the director's film because the subject matter really didn't lend itself to an appealing movie for me. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it.