grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

8 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Yes.  More than that, tbh.  Kong numbers wouldn't shock me.

I can't believe in it, but I agree with Han. It still looks 35-40 mln opening. Yeah, pre-sales is decent, but we all remember huge "Blade Runner 2049" pre-sales and what we were feeling during the whole Friday, when numbers has gone down and down...

Edited by KeepItU25071906
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

I can't believe in it, but I agree with Han. It still looks 35-40 mln opening. Yeah, pre-sales is decent, but we all remember huge "Blade Runner 2049" pre-sales and what we were feeling during the whole Friday, when numbers has gone down and down...

BR2049 isn't a great example because that was a R rated sequel to the cult classic, this is an adaptation of a best seller directed by Steven Spielberg. I think given that nothing has broken out since BP, there will be an appetite for a new blockbuster. 

The budget being $175m doesn't surprise me, the visuals alone must have cost a pretty penny.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

RPO is absolutely nothing like BR2049. I haven't seen the film but I have seen nobody say that it's that sort of film and it doesn't look like that sort of film. It might bomb for all I know but not because it looks like that film because it absolutely does not. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I really am curious as to why this movie isn’t tracking too well at the moment, in spite of the positive reviews. With how prominent nostalgia has become in the last three years, I would’ve thought that a movie with decent reviews that is also a massive love letter to geek culture would have higher estimates. 

I honestly believe the recent attack its gotten on twitter has effected it's hype, therefore making the estimates come in lower than expected. Everyone on twitter is now super against the book and its author. I understand that I guess, but this is the movie. They really need to curb their hatred for the book and its author. This is frickin Steven Spielberg

10 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

I honestly believe the recent attack its gotten on twitter has effected it's hype, therefore making the estimates come in lower than expected. Everyone on twitter is now super against the book and its author. I understand that I guess, but this is the movie. They really need to curb their hatred for the book and its author. This is frickin Steven Spielberg

I think the SXSW screening has somewhat turned the tide and the fact the geek sites have mostly given it the thumbs up.

1 hour ago, Pinacolada said:

Why are people against the book and author? first time im hearing about this...

4 hours ago, Lucas said:

The trailers do very little to make it seem like the scenes inside the Oasis look nice because of the drab looking visuals.

All the modern films have darb looking visuals maybe its a rendering/color grading things and only some movies like Guardians of Galaxys and the 2016 onwards MCU movies are few examples that now have started trying with more vibrant and weird ass looking(in not a bad way) CGI

2 hours ago, Pinacolada said:

If twitter had that sort of power (it doesn't) then A Wrinkle in Time would have opened with 100 million dollars.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

Yeah, pre-sales is decent, but we all remember huge "Blade Runner 2049" pre-sales and what we were feeling during the whole Friday

Its Easter and almost all kids would have watched Pacific Rim by then in its first 5 days

2 hours ago, YLF said:

Why are people against the book and author? first time im hearing about this...

"People". It's a real successful book, even more so among its target audience, it's just a portion of twitter that is against it. The thing about twitter though is that it tends to end up like an echo chamber that reflects back your own opinions at you if you aren't careful to seek out more. The herd mentality can snow ball pretty easily in such cases and then certain things end up being cool to hate on.

"I haven't really read it but..." or "I have read the first few pages only..." or "I read it a couple of years ago and I had a great time with it but now..." are all takes I've read about it over and over.

And no, I'm not trying to invalidate any and all criticisms of it - far form it actually, I know it's not a perfect book(which one is?) and honestly it's fine to dislike it for what it is. All I'm saying is that it does seem to get a bit too much irrational hate at times around certain parts considering that it's just one more among thousands disposable entertainment fictional works about your typical nerd wish-fulfillment and hero journey.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 2

(there may be some fudging of the truth going on in regards to SW, as there do appear to be contradictory accounts from other folks involved in RPO.  But, hey, I'll listen to Spielberg for now until I'm given good reason not to in the future)

Edited by Porthos
  • Thanks 1