grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

26 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Of all the threads that could’ve turned into the sexual harassment thread, I did not expect it to be the Ready Player One thread

Or like Manchester might say, with a word like Player in the title the thread was asking for it. 

3 hours ago, Wrath said:

Iirc, the guy starts out chubby but is actually in pretty good shape by the end of the book.

Clearly, the movie is fiddling with the plot, because there is no scene like that in the book. One of the running themes is that Wade doesn't know what any of his friends physically look like. They're kids scattered around the world, so while they're working together on various things, its always virtual. They're not physically in the same place.

Yeah, I find that real weird, I wonder what's going on.

Anyways, yeah, the main characters are definitely not what I expected from the books look-wise. Specially the girl.

4 hours ago, Arlborn said:

Yeah, I find that real weird, I wonder what's going on.

Anyways, yeah, the main characters are definitely not what I expected from the books look-wise. Specially the girl.

Eh, maybe, I can see it either way, depending on the lighting.

I want to comment further, but I really can’t without immediately getting into spoilers. At least, as far as the book is concerned.

edit - This probably warrants some explanation. How Wade feels about the other characters, while not knowing who they really are and what they actually look like (and wrestling with whether or not it should matter), is pretty central to the book. So anything dealing with “Art3mis or Aech look like X” is a pretty massive spoiler.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 2

Just now, Arlborn said:

Yup, that was nice.

Nice clip overall.

The choice of Spielberg directed or produced film clips was interesting, Jurassic Park and Back to the Future not too surprising but I wonder why AI and Minority Report were chosen over say War of the Worlds or Hook.