grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

Also wouldn't surprise me if the budget was lower, say around 160m. 

The BFG was $140m but I think given how much VFX heavy this film is, $160m is possible but I thinking $175-180m same as Fantastic Beasts and Suicide Squad. Spielberg's most expensive film was actually Indiana Jones 4 at $185m 

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The BFG was $140m but I think given how much VFX heavy this film is, $160m is possible but I thinking $175-180m same as Fantastic Beasts and Suicide Squad. Spielberg's most expensive film was actually Indiana Jones 4 at $185m 

175m seems reasonable given how many CGI characters are in this film, but I'm thinking they only take up about 30% of the screentime, whereas the giant in The BFG was more prominently featured. It's a film that definitely heavy on the special effects though. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

175m seems reasonable given how many CGI characters are in this film, but I'm thinking they only take up about 30% of the screentime, whereas the giant in The BFG was more prominently featured. It's a film that definitely heavy on the special effects though. 

Luckily the visuals look amazing. I imagine it's going to look stunning on a PLF screen. 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2018 at 4:49 PM, Jonwo said:

I think BFG is a little less.  Safe to say this movie probably cost whatever it was budgeted at, maybe slightly less.

And no, this ain’t doing as low as Valerian.  The last time Spielberg made a movie that made less than Valerian domestic was...1987.  Empire of the Sun.  If you include inflation, it might be safe to say he’s never made a movie that made less than Valerian domestic except maybe...Sugarland Express?  So, yeah I don’t think so.  Certainly not on something like this.

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, kowhite said:

I think BFG is a little less.  Safe to say this movie probably cost whatever it was budgeted at, maybe slightly less.

And no, this ain’t doing as low as Valerian.  The last time Spielberg made a movie that made less than Valerian domestic was...1987.  Empire of the Sun.  If you include inflation, it might be safe to say he’s never made a movie that made less than Valerian domestic except maybe...Sugarland Express?  So, yeah I don’t think so.  Certainly not on something like this.

The BFG came painfully close to doing that low. Only sold around the same admissions as Empire of the Sun, not a whole lot more than Sugarland Express. Just saying, Spielberg's last two blockbusters have pretty much erased any notion of a box office floor just because it's him.