narniadis

Friday numbers (Exodus 8.7 mill)

On paper this holiday season looked strong, but boy has it been shitty. If it wasnt for the entertaining Sony drama, this place would be full of tumbleweeds.

No joke.  This is the season of disappointing blockbusters.

I honestly think we should be prepared for a slump that's going to last for a few months. It's gonna be quite a while until people are truly excited about going to the movies again, especially from looking at the early year slate.

It'll improve in January, like 2009 and 2012.

I honestly think we should be prepared for a slump that's going to last for a few months. It's gonna be quite a while until people are truly excited about going to the movies again, especially from looking at the early year slate.

Right off the bat for potential hits the early 2015 slate includes Taken 3 and 50 Shades of Gray.

Any ideas on what Oscar movie of December is gonna break out cuz I don't have a freaking clue ...Selma, American Sniper, Unbroken, Into the Woods ? Big Eyes ?

Will Annie suffer from the leak ?

Will the Hobbit try to pick a fight with Groot ?

So many questions ...

• Like 1

Any ideas on what Oscar movie of December is gonna break out cuz I don't have a freaking clue ...Selma, American Sniper, Unbroken, Into the Woods ? Big Eyes ?

Unbroken is likely gonna get lost in the shuffle with mixed reviews and no awards traction. Into the Woods will probably post business almost identical to Enchanted. Selma, American Sniper, and Big Eyes should all do well to varying degrees.

• Like 2

January 2015 will be really solid. It has Taken3, a solid expansion for Selma and American Sniper, the wedding ringer, and many films that have more potential than the awful 2014 schedule

I'll say we can have a two 100m grossers and a huge expansion with sniper. A pretty solid month.

February aldo looks great with 50shades, spongebob, jupiter ascending or focus.

And March 2015? So many strong films there: heart of the sea, home, insurgent, Cunderella, Chapie...

2015 can't come soon enough!!

January 2015 will be really solid. It has Taken3, a solid expansion for Selma and American Sniper, the wedding ringer, and many films that have more potential than the awful 2014 schedule

I'll say we can have a two 100m grossers and a huge expansion with sniper. A pretty solid month.

February aldo looks great with 50shades, spongebob, jupiter ascending or focus.

And March 2015? So many strong films there: heart of the sea, home, insurgent, Cunderella, Chapie...

2015 can't come soon enough!!

Update, Saturday, 5:25PM: Exodus is playing well in the South and the West, with decent business coming out of Hispanic theaters according to distribution sources.  This comes as no surprise as Noah played strong from Texas, westward in its opening. Fox reported a Friday estimate of $8.63M this morning, and the industry forecast is that Moses could see a Saturday increase of 15% for an estimate of $9.9M bringing its cume over two days to $18.5M. A $25M is still what everyone is seeing for the Ridley Scott film. While Noah posted a higher Friday opening of $15.2M, it saw an uptick of 16% on its Saturday with $17.6M. 

I think 25M is too high, if it gets a 9.9M Saturday, with a 40% Sunday drop, it will make 5.9M taking it to 24.4M for the weekend.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 2

is it just me or is this a perfect situation for something like the hobbit 3 to break out beyond the previous films and get back to LOTR levels ? (one last time  :ph34r: )

I could be wrong though and everything is just bad at the moment.......

is it just me or is this a perfect situation for something like the hobbit 3 to break out beyond the previous films and get back to LOTR levels ? (one last time  :ph34r: )

I could be wrong though and everything is just bad at the moment.......

Or we could just end up with every single movie in 2014 underperforming to close out a horrible year at the box office. 

• Like 2

Or we could just end up with every single movie in 2014 underperforming to close out a horrible year at the box office. 

And then i saw the hobbit, Now I'm a believer

not a trace of doubt in my mind.

i'm so happy i'm a believer....  :ph34r:

And then i saw the hobbit, Now I'm a believer

not a trace of doubt in my mind.

i'm so happy i'm a believer....  :ph34r:

Doesn't mean much coming from you since you were adamant that DoS would hit $300m well after a month of its release lol