#ED

American Sniper (2014)

American Sniper  

89 members have voted

1. 1. American Sniper

You're grasping at straws. Here's the problem:

Iraq was an illegal war and America invaded because of artificial facts (WMD, hiding terrorist leaders)

Nearly a million have died due to the invasion (the vast vast majority of them innocent)

I have no problem with the film showing the atrocities committed by some Iraqi militants. I'm glad they did. What they utterly failed to do was to also reflect the mistakes and horrors the American military committed.

And my biggest qualm...turning a raving lunatic that lusted over murder into a person he was not. And then show the goddamn ridiculous tribute towards him at the end was just lol-worthy.

So much fabrication.

Yeah and I can understand the frustration people have with what you've said however it still doesn't change the fact that they made all Iraqis look evil like Lisa suggest. The film was literally a a war movie shown from a snipers perspective, it's hard to show corruption from that point of view. The hurt Locker showed all Iraqis as evil, they failed to show the mistakes the American military committed yet everyone has given that a free pass.

You've all let the real story of chris kyle get to you to the point where you actively try and find problems to criticise the movie for even though these same problems are present in a lot of highly acclaimed movies of this genre

Edited by jessie
  • Like 2

Eastwood pretty much made a film for the audience then making his opinion or message.

Many Directors these days have fallen into a trap of making films that has to send their own message or opinion and "I hope audiences like it". That is why I think so many recent well made films fail to resonate among a wide audience especially last year.

He made a film he knew Audiences would love because he made a film that was different from the other films on the modern wars.

He did not make a true film, but he made a film audiences would have liked and it was successful.

If he made a film as his opinion or version of what he thinks about Iraq and Kyle, then it would have not been anywhere near as successful.

That is why people are angry at the film as it was made for the audiences and they love it....

Making a film for it's audience isn't exactly a bad thing you know, it is after all, what cinema is made for. Eastwood didn't fall into a trap, he was simply doing his job, well Edited by jessie
  • Like 3

You can think a movie is great without thinking the person is also great.  This is a film.  It's an art form.  You don't have to agree with it to accept that it's a well made film on every level.

Every level? Girl...

And I see your point. I do, I really do. I don't know what it is about this movie though.

Obviously, something struck a chord with me. Something about it put me off though, and that's why I'm being this way.

Edited by Claire Nolan Holt

Yeah and I can understand the frustration people have with what you've said however it still doesn't change the fact that they made all Iraqis look evil like Lisa suggest. The film was literally a a war movie shown from a snipers perspective, it's hard to show corruption from that point of view. The hurt Locker showed all Iraqis as evil, they failed to show the mistakes the American military committed yet everyone has given that a free pass.

You've all let the real story of chris kyle get to you to the point where you actively try and find problems to criticise the movie for even though these same problems are present in a lot of highly acclaimed movies of this genre

a lot of acclaimed films are like that, and indeed THE HURT LOCKER was one of them, though not as bad as this.

Look, the story is about Kyle, not the Iraq War in general. We all know by now that the US had no business being there. Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket were also pretty one-sided perspectives on Vietnam and that does not equate an endorsement. The movie does make subtle nods to the doubt lingering in soldiers' minds and the hollowness of the justification for being there.

Also, I think it's subtly racist to classify the evildoers as the "Iraqis" and not the dissidents.

I don't get why calling then Iraqis is racist, it's an abbreviated expression used to associate someone from their nationality. It's like saying that calling and English person English is being racist, or referring to an American as Americans is being racist. It literally makes no sense Edited by jessie
  • Like 2

B+

I liked it. Solid film. Excellent performance from Bradley Cooper.

However, one thing kept bugging me throughout. Would a sniper on overwatch be allowed to constantly be chatting with his wife on a satellite phone?

It seems he did. It even played out once like in the film. He dropped the phone when a fire fight started and his wife heard the whole thing.

Shit, one of the SEALS played himself in the movie.

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 1

B+

I liked it. Solid film. Excellent performance from Bradley Cooper.

However, one thing kept bugging me throughout. Would a sniper on overwatch be allowed to constantly be chatting with his wife on a satellite phone?

Shit, one of the SEALS played himself in the movie.

100% agree with the criticism here, why would anyone ring their worrying wife during a fucking battle scene. I guess it makes for a good emotional scene despite being very unlikely. It makes it worse that he did it more than once lol

Making a film for it's audience isn't exactly a bad thing you know, it is after all, what cinema is made for. Eastwood didn't fall into a trap, he was simply doing his job, well

Of course it is now,

I wished Directors would do it more often.

Instead of making a stupid film about Godzilla being a hero, make Godzilla be a villain like everyone wanted him to be!!! 

I've said it before and I'll say it again. As a film, it's well done with a phenomenal performance from Cooper and some truly gripping scenes. 

But the final tribute to Chris Kyle at the end made everything extremely problematic for me. Yes, it's art. But his life was real, and to dedicate a fictitious film while claiming it's accurate bothers me immensely. 

And who cares about THL? 10 people in the world saw it. 

• Like 3

I've said it before and I'll say it again. As a film, it's well done with a phenomenal performance from Cooper and some truly gripping scenes. 

But the final tribute to Chris Kyle at the end made everything extremely problematic for me. Yes, it's art. But his life was real, and to dedicate a fictitious film while claiming it's accurate bothers me immensely. 

And who cares about THL? 10 people in the world saw it.

Haha I cared about the first 10 minutes of hurt Locker then guy pierce :(

I also found it funny how the SAS would brushed off in that movie like a bunch of amateurs

• Like 1