#ED

American Sniper (2014)

American Sniper  

89 members have voted

1. 1. American Sniper

here was my review on criticker by the way:

this film. this celebration of america's small successes in iraq. this lament over the colossal damage US soldiers sustained whilst there. above all, this vicious indictment of the subhuman scum that inhabit that godforsaken country. this film - this actual *film* - is smashing box office records worldwide, got an A+ cinemascore, and was nominated for best picture. this film is mandatory viewing for antiwar advocates, if only to destroy any unwarranted fondness one might feel toward humanity.

0.1/10

• Like 11

here was my review on criticker by the way:

this film. this celebration of america's small successes in iraq. this lament over the colossal damage US soldiers sustained whilst there. above all, this vicious indictment of the subhuman scum that inhabit that godforsaken country. this film - this actual *film* - is smashing box office records worldwide, got an A+ cinemascore, and was nominated for best picture. this film is mandatory viewing for antiwar advocates, if only to destroy any unwarranted fondness one might feel toward humanity.

0.1/10

Lisa please, never leave these forums. It woudn't be fun with out you! :D

• Like 7

American Sniper' Is Almost Too Dumb to Criticize

"

No one expected 20 minutes of backstory about the failed WMD search, Abu Ghraib, or the myriad other American atrocities and quick-trigger bombings that helped fuel the rise of ISIL and other groups.

But to turn the Iraq war into a saccharine, almost PG-rated two-hour cinematic diversion about a killing machine with a heart of gold (is there any film theme more perfectly 2015-America than that?) who slowly, very slowly, starts to feel bad after shooting enough women and children – Gump notwithstanding, that was a hard one to see coming.

The characters in Eastwood's movies almost always wear white and black hats or their equivalents, so you know at all times who's the good guy on the one hand, and whose exploding head we're to applaud on the other.

In this case that effect is often literal, with "hero" sniper Chris Kyle's "sinister" opposite Mustafa permanently dressed in black (with accompanying evil black pirate-stubble) throughout."

LOL
Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 4

There was more torture in Zero Dark Thirty, in which no-one complained.

Because that was about the fairy tale known as finding Osama Bin Laden and killing him.  Surprised there was no porridge at his house, or frogs that turn into princes or bread crumbs...

• Like 5

American Sniper' Is Almost Too Dumb to Criticize

But to turn the Iraq war into a saccharine, almost PG-rated two-hour cinematic diversion about a killing machine with a heart of gold (is there any film theme more perfectly 2015-America than that?) who slowly, very slowly, starts to feel bad after shooting enough women and children – Gump notwithstanding, that was a hard one to see coming.

Jesus fucking Christ. Thank you, Matt Taibbi, for proving that liberal commentators can be just as much incendiary douchebags as conservatives.

I mean, FFS, near-PG rated?! How the fuck can anyone say that about a movie that graphically depicts the very painful-looking murder of an innocent child?

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 9

Jesus fucking Christ. Thank you, Matt Taibbi, for proving that liberal commentators can be just as much incendiary douchebags as conservatives.

I mean, FFS, near-PG rated?! How the fuck can anyone say that about a movie that graphically depicts the very painful-looking murder of an innocent child?

Or one with a tortured and mutilated soldier that bled out to death while hanging from chains(or was it hooks?) or with a bunch of decapitated heads stacked on a shelf.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 2

I'm not even sure how anyone could class this movie as pro-war? Can someone explain that one to me? The way I see it this movie is more about a character study about a fictionalised version of a real life dude then a movie that is making any grand claims about war one way or the other. Indeed if anything I would class this movie as anti-war given how we see the war strain Kyle's relationships at home, and strain his mental health. Throw in the reactions of his bro and the other veterans he runs across while back at home and the message I take from it is that if you go to War it will affect you negatively even if you do come home in one piece. That is hardly a pro-war point of view as far as I see it.

So how in the fuck is this pro-war? 

• Like 9

it's not "pro-war", hardly anything could actually be classified as saying war is awesome, but it certainly is an iraq war apology, and its "anti-war" kicks come from one side only. that is, if there is any anti-war message, it must simultaneously be an anti-iraq one, because all of the awfulness is stuff that iraqis do to dissidents and american soldiers. never is there a comment on american atrocities, which, given that the iraq war was one giant imperialist experiment, is absolutely unforgivable.

then add in the fact that chris kyle is celebrated as a hero, well...yeah. this is unambiguously despicable.

• Like 2

Look, the story is about Kyle, not the Iraq War in general. We all know by now that the US had no business being there. Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket were also pretty one-sided perspectives on Vietnam and that does not equate an endorsement. The movie does make subtle nods to the doubt lingering in soldiers' minds and the hollowness of the justification for being there. 

Also, I think it's subtly racist to classify the evildoers as the "Iraqis" and not the dissidents.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 5

I can't believe how seriously fucking amazing Bradley Cooper is in this film. I just can't. I've grown to like him a lot as actor but once I saw this I walked out thinking I just saw one of the best performances ever. Like, give this man all the oscars. Solid direction from Eastwood but Cooper really put the movie on his back and carried it.

The movie as a whole was pretty good, I give it a solid B.

I did not care for his performance at all. Michael Keaton from Birdman deserves the win much more

• Like 2

well, that's what the film does. it labels all iraqis as evil.

Ah yes. That father and boy who were tortured to death by dissidents were obviously portrayed as pure evil of the highest order.

• Like 4

Ah yes. That father and boy who were tortured to death by dissidents were obviously portrayed as pure evil of the highest order.

tortured by their own. americans were just 'doing their job' and iraqis were doing evil things. even the father had to be threatened with death to give up information.

• Like 2