grim22

The Greatest Showman | PT Barnum Biopic starring Hugh Jackman. Fox releasing. Christmas 2017

‘Greatest Showman’ Becomes a Sleeper Hit as Disrespected Films Flourish

Plus "This is Me" received the expected Oscar nom. It and Rewrite the Stars continued to rise on the Billboard Top 100 charts:

58. This is Me - Keala Settle & The Greatest Showman Ensemble

70. Rewrite The Stars - Zac Efron & Zendaya

89. The Greatest Show - Hugh Jackman, Keala Settle, Zac Efron, Zendaya & The Greatest Showman Ensemble

97. Never Enough - Loren Allred

19 hours ago, KC7 said:

After two weeks at the top of the Billboard Top 200 Albums chart, the soundtrack is dropping to number 2 this week, though it actually sold more copies.

The movie made another $11M overseas.

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $113,480,607    49.0%
Foreign:  $118,000,000    51.0%

Worldwide:  $231,480,607  

Greatest Showman is currently #1 on iTunes while Camila album is #8 I think it will go back to #1 next week. 

• Like 1

Sorry for the double post!

Congrats to the Oscar nomination for THIS IS ME.

It was a good strategy to submit just one song to prevent potential vote splitting that could result to getting snubbed but a lot of the songs here are so worthy of a nomination. 

I would love to see Hugh Jackman and the cast perform on stage with THE GREATEST SHOW had it been in contention, that song is such an earworm and showstopper

Edited by forg

Domestic:

A turn-of-the-century original musical? Talk about an audacious bet, but Fox continues to pull it off. Who knew we’d still be talking about The Greatest Showman in the wake of The Last Jedi holiday season at this point in time with $9.5m in weekend 6, -11% and a running total of $126.5M? At this pace, Greatest Showman could potentially out peg Les Miserables ($148.8M) and La La Land ($151M) at the domestic B.O. The studio greenlit a movie that they knew the audiences would enjoy; something critics could not foresee the success of in this Michael Gracey-directed movie.

Seriously? I don't think it'll have trouble passing $151M. It's simply holding too well. Even with the digital release looming, it should be enough of a spectacle that people will want to see it on a big screen

International:

Another Fox movie boasting an Oscar nomination, The Greatest Showman saw $10.1M worth of moviegoers run away to join the circus this session. On 3,994 screens in 45 markets, the Hugh Jackman-starrer has now cumed $133M. Holdover business was buoyant with the UK down just 7% for an outstanding $26.8M cume while Australia fell only 3% and has now cumed $18.3M. France was the new opener with $1.7M on 373 screens and good for 3rd position. There are still two major markets to come with China next Friday and Japan on February 16. Both will be important plays to watch. China recently has embraced musicals with La La Land and Coco both scoring. Japan counted La La in the Top 10 last year and Les Misérables (with Jackman starring) was the No. 5 movie of 2012.

The soundtrack is battling for #1 on the Billboard 200 charts again. It's also #1 in the UK, and "This is Me" is in the Top 10 singles.

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $126,475,232    48.7%
Foreign:  $133,041,052    51.3%

Worldwide:  $259,516,284  

Can it make it to $350M WW? Nothing seems too far-fetched at this point.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KC7 said:

Domestic:

Seriously? I don't think it'll have trouble passing $151M. It's simply holding too well. Even with the digital release looming, it should be enough of a spectacle that people will want to see it on a big screen

International:

The soundtrack is battling for #1 on the Billboard 200 charts again. It's also #1 in the UK, and "This is Me" is in the Top 10 singles.

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $126,475,232    48.7%
Foreign:  $133,041,052    51.3%

Worldwide:  $259,516,284  

Can it make it to $350M WW? Nothing seems too far-fetched at this point.

It will easily hit 400+ WW if it does La La Land numbers in China and Japan. That's an extra $75m right there. Should have $50-70m left DOM. Plus probably another 40-50m left from the remaining markets. 450 wouldn't even be impossible with LLL performances in China/Japan. 

• Like 1

I think the success of The Greatest Showman will lead to more original movie musicals or greenlighting more films based on stage musicals. 

Musicals have seen a real surge in popularity in the last few years. I've always liked musicals so I'm happy to see more of them be successful and have more made.

• Like 1

I enjoyed this. It's the most shameless thing ever, right down to convincing its own critics within the damn story, but the sheer audacity is overwhelming. And I'm getting a kick out of the mini-Titanic thing it's been doing in the box office. (As opposed to Jumanji, the grosses of which make me depressed).

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 8