Neo

2017 & Beyond Discussion Thread | Is 2017 (Summer) Bigger than 2016?

2 hours ago, Belakor said:

2017 is going to be massive. just the first trimester is full with potential hits (XXX Cage, Trainspotting 2 , Dark Tower, Lego Batman, Wolverine 3, King Arthur, Power Rangers, Kong).

The God particle could be a mini hit as well. Plus Beauty and Beast will be massive 300m+

59 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Has casting even happen yet for Barbie? Also, add on Bad Boys 3 to that list.

Sony wanted Margot Robbie last i heard. But yeah that is probably going to move if they dont get started filming now. Bad Boys 3 and Uncharted will likely move as well. 

Next year's Feb-April schedule is quite simply insane. I mean that would be a decent summer schedule in all honesty. BatB+Lego Batman could potentially gross more than the two highest grossers of the summer (which I'd guess will be Spiderman/Guardians). Then you also have Fast 8. Kong, and Wolverine 3 will be shooting for 150+ and Fifty Shades Darker, The Dark Tower, The Great Wall, God Particle, The Boss Baby, King Arthur, and Power Rangers are all attempting to be sizable 100+ hits as well. Basically we're either going to have summer in the winter season or tons of things are going to disappoint. Some of those need to move to April though, since Fast 8 has essentially been given the whole month to itself atm. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Next year's Feb-April schedule is quite simply insane. I mean that would be a decent summer schedule in all honesty. BatB+Lego Batman could potentially gross more than the two highest grossers of the summer (which I'd guess will be Spiderman/Guardians). 

Yeah, no.

8 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Yeah, no.

Honestly won't shock me if BatB and Lego Batman were to claim the #2 and 3 spots for the year, beaten only by Ep 8 of course. Next summer is incredibly weak for potential mega hits. GotG 2 has every reason to go the way of most big CBM breakouts and decrease with the second installment. Probably just eeks by 300. DM3 can probably hit 300-350 with smart Illumination marketing and Spiderman has the potential to take the summer and be the only 400+ grosser if it really delivers. But that's still a big if for now. Nothing else in the summer is hitting 300 shy of a huge breakout we don't see coming (don't even bring up Pirates or Transformers because those franchises are beyond tired domestically). Opposed to LEGO and BatB which are near locks for 300 if well received, 350+ definitely on the table for both. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Honestly won't shock me if BatB and Lego Batman were to claim the #2 and 3 spots for the year, beaten only by Ep 8 of course. Next summer is incredibly weak for potential mega hits. GotG 2 has every reason to go the way of most big CBM breakouts and decrease with the second installment. Probably just eeks by 300. DM3 can probably hit 300-350 with smart Illumination marketing and Spiderman has the potential to take the summer and be the only 400+ grosser if it really delivers. But that's still a big if for now. Nothing else is hitting 300 shy of a huge breakout we don't see coming. Opposed to LEGO and BatB which are near locks for 300 if well received, 350+ definitely on the table for both. 

Seriously not feeling the buzz for Lego Batman. He was a side character, after all.

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Seriously not feeling the buzz for Lego Batman. He was a side character, after all.

Look at the history of the Batman movie grosses and combine that with The LEGO Movie's success on top of that. 300+ is far from a crazy assumption. 

My yearly top 10 prediction atm:

1. Episode VIII - $775m

2. Spider-Man Homecoming - $415m

3. Beauty and the Beast - $400m

4. The LEGO Batman Movie - $375m

5. Despicable Me 3 - $345m

6. Fast 8 - $310m

7. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - $305m

8. Coco - $300m

9. Wonder Woman - $300m

10. Justice League - $275m

Would love to throw Uncharted in there as the big breakout of the year, but past video game adaptations make that pretty hard to put confidence in. Still, it has by far the most blockbuster potential of any video game adaptation ever if done right. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

1. Episode VIII - $775m

6. Fast 8 - $310m

8. Coco - $300m

9. Wonder Woman - $300m

Would love to throw Uncharted in there as the big breakout of the year, but past video game adaptations make that pretty hard to put confidence in. Still, it has by far the most blockbuster potential of any video game adaptation ever if done right. 

If Uncharted had Chris Pratt then I would agree, but he opted out of early talks.

5 hours ago, mahnamahna said:

XXX 3: $90 million

Trainspotting 2: $40 million 

Dark Tower: $125 million

LEGO Batman: $345 million

Wolverine 3: $160 million

Kong - Skull Island: $215 million 

Power Rangers: $50 million 

I don't see T2 or Power Rangers being hits - one is a niche sequel that could underwhelm and the other is a reboot that comes after Wolverine 3, Kong and B&TB... with Ghost and Fast 8 in the few weeks to follow. 

how do you think The great wall would do?

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Next year's Feb-April schedule is quite simply insane. I mean that would be a decent summer schedule in all honesty. BatB+Lego Batman could potentially gross more than the two highest grossers of the summer (which I'd guess will be Spiderman/Guardians). Then you also have Fast 8. Kong, and Wolverine 3 will be shooting for 150+ and Fifty Shades Darker, The Dark Tower, The Great Wall, God Particle, The Boss Baby, King Arthur, and Power Rangers are all attempting to be sizable 100+ hits as well. Basically we're either going to have summer in the winter season or tons of things are going to disappoint. Some of those need to move to April though, since Fast 8 has essentially been given the whole month to itself atm. 

yeah very packed quarter (looks more interesting than next summer to be honest) there is also ghost in the shell which not sure will be a 100M+ hit, but there are people definitely interested in it.

1. Episode VIII - $775m

6. Fast 8 - $310m

8. Coco - $300m

9. Wonder Woman - $300m

How much do you think DM3 will do WW

Edited by MinaTakla

1. Episode VIII - $775m

6. Fast 8 - $310m

8. Coco - $300m

9. Wonder Woman - $300m

Totally agree, unfortunately Uncharted seems to be in development hell, it's release date is less than a year away and they have no cast, no director, and certainly aren't ready to shoot. anyways I really really really hope it gets made and with the same care as the video games. but I can't see it making a 2017 release at this point. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I'm seriously thinking WB moves Arthur to April, especially after the great reception to the trailer. KA was the only WB trailer from CC that didn't have an exact date. Only 2017. That makes me think they are unsure of it's date. An April date would really help. I think it would be a top pick for older audiences, ahead of Fast 8, just like Tarzan was.