Mockingjay Raphael

Weekend Numbers SB: 56, AS 24.1, JA 19 pg 54

God, I used to imagine 2015 being that golden age of cinema, where we would live in a perfect world where every movie is a billion dollar hit and Mahnamahna's predictions all come true.

That's a bit of a hyperbole but I wasn't expecting practically every 2015 release to disappoint :(

As I said, American Sniper saved one of the worst january in history in terms of actual January releases.

I'm not even a studio exec and the way the Wachowskis waste the studios money to make niche projects really pisses me off.

I seriously don't get it. Did they make a bet with M. Night who can have the priciest string of bombs?

The Wachowskis slipped some pretty powerful shit into Warner Exec's coffee right before they pitched Jupiter Ascending.

• Like 6

Wow Spongebob is really a hit. 40m OW and 150+ DOM should happen.

The 2004 one had a bad multiplier though (for an animated pg film) - 2.67 (85.4 total/32 ow)

I don't know the reasons for that, but feel this would finish closer to 130m with a 40m ow (still a huge success with a 74m budget).

I think Julianne Moore has pretty much said she'll take whatever jobs are offered to her. Jeff Bridges strikes me as the type as well.

Sadly, at her age Moore can't really get that much big paying job offers even if she wins the Oscar later this month

Look at  Viola Davis too, since The Help she only got supporting roles in Beautiful Creatures, Ender's Game and most recently Blackhat. Well at least she has How to Get Away With Murder where she gets to do more and be the center of the show

SpongeBob has clearly got to be the biggest phenomenon of Nickelodeon's existence. Not even Rugrats came close to maintaining this kind of pop culture staying power.

I loved Spongebob when I was a kid and now my nephew watches it a lot and I usually join him watching it and still enjoy it. It's a fun show

• Like 1

The 2004 one had a bad multiplier though (for an animated pg film) - 2.67 (85.4 total/32 ow)

I don't know the reasons for that, but feel this would finish closer to 130m with a 40m ow (still a huge success with a 74m budget).

Because it was out the same time as Incrdibles, Polar Express, and National Treasure. This one has...Paddington, or whats left of it.

• Like 3

Matrix Reloaded has an overcomplicated plot but the movie focuses on Neo & his band of rebels and the action is inventive and plentiful. Revolution cuts back and forth between Neo & Zion's sewer battle with none of Neo crew participating in the struggle. It's almost as if the audience is walking into a completely different movie. By the time Neo talks to the Machine God, audience's connection to the story is severed. The Matrix Trilogy stills one of the most innovative action movies in recent memory. But a  new series/spin-off made following a mega successful Trilogy rarely succeeds imo. Star Wars Prequels made lotsa money and the die hard fans camped overnight to sit in the front rows but everybody knows with the exception of the Darth Maul saber duel, everything about the Prequels lack inspiration.

I like the flawed and occasionally cheesy The Matrix Reloaded, it gets a lot of flak, but its certainly better than most of the big budget action movies that come out of Hollywood these days IMO, but Matrix Revolutions is unforgivably stupid imo.

The main issue with Matrix Reloaded is that there's a few sequences where the momentum literally stops dead in its track and the film just flounders around while the Wachowski's indulge in philosophical Nolansition or spend 5 minutes on a completely tangential rave orgy. Trim out some of those worst offenders and the film is pretty engaging and moves along at a strong clip.

• Like 3

Actually, Tele was an early supporter of his friend William Wilberforce.

I hear he was the justice presiding over the infamous Zong case.

belle-tom-wilkinson.jpg

He ruled that it was legal to kill slaves on a ship you were transporting, just not if you were doing it for an insurance scam

• Like 1