grim22

Free State of Jones | June 24, 2016 | Matthew McConaughey, Gugu Mbatha-Raw. Directed by Gary Ross | First Trailer on Page 2!

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Begins with 0/5 on RT. Given that movies like this live or die on reviews, I wouldn't be surprised by an opening in the $5M range now.

Even worse, the average score is 3.4/10 so it's not rotten based on mixed reviews being tagged as negative. The true story is so fascinating, I was hoping this would do it some measure of justice but reviews seem to indicate that it's a dry boring history lesson instead of using the compelling story to it's advantage. One review states that it feels like a TV mini-series randomly cut down to feature length and is culturally tone-deaf while dumbing-down Knight's crusade by making it more personal than political.

Edited by EmmaPeel
fixed spelling

1 hour ago, EmmaPeel said:

Even worse, the average score is 3.4/10 so it's not rotten based on mixed reviews being tagged as negative. The true story is so fascinating, I was hoping this would do it some measure of justice but reviews seem to indicate that it's a dry boring history lesson instead of using the compelling story to it's advantage. One review states that it feels like a TV mini-series randomly cut down to feature length and is culturally tone-deaf while dumbing-down Knight's crusade by making it more personal than political.

I felt this concept would have made a good companion piece to Birth of a Nation which is coming out in the fall.

i think this, sea of trees, interstellar all seemed like no duh choices just because of the filmmakers involved. i'm sure that sort of thing blinds a lot of actors to potential duds. plus you never know until it's finished really.

4 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

i think this, sea of trees, interstellar all seemed like no duh choices just because of the filmmakers involved. i'm sure that sort of thing blinds a lot of actors to potential duds. plus you never know until it's finished really.

Oh, man, Sea of Trees. I hadn't even heard of that movie because it's not released in most places.

I don't think any of this will hurt Matthew McConaughey, though. He'll be in another hit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAR said:

What was Sea of Trees?

The Sea of Trees
2015 ‧ Mystery/Drama film ‧ 1h 50m

The Sea of Trees is a 2015 American drama mystery film directed by Gus Van Sant and written by Chris Sparling. The film stars Matthew McConaughey, Ken Watanabe, Naomi Watts, Katie Aselton, and Jordan Gavaris. Wikipedia

Release date: 2015 (USA) (Hasn't been released yet...)
Budget: 25 million USD

Welp...this is dead.

Granted, they made a slave movie starring a white guy.  Not the best approach.  

So...yeah, Birth of a Nation is the movie to watch.

Seems like Bad Moms is all that STX has to look forward to now.

Edited by kowhite