Neo

Robin Hood | Nov 21 2018 | Lionsgate | Taron Egerton is Robin Hood, Jamie Foxx is Little John

I presume Lionsgate has covered it ass by selling off the distribution rights to this film,which seems to be their tactic for these big budget films.

Upside:it really cuts down how much you lose if it bombs;

Downside It also cuts your profits if the film is a hit.

Edited by dudalb

13 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I presume Lionsgate has covered it ass by selling off the distribution rights to this film,which seems to be their tactic for these big budget films.

Upside:it really cuts down how much you lose if it bombs;

Downside It also cuts your profits if the film is a hit.

By not having much of a worldwide distribution infracstructure (if it didn't change they only released movie in the UK), Liongates does it for their smaller movie also, say like La la land and even for their very low risk franchise entry like Divergent or the Hungers Games sequels.

https://deadline.com/2017/03/la-la-land-box-office-profit-2016-1202047487/

https://deadline.com/2015/03/divergent-profit-box-office-2014-1201389595/

https://issuu.com/pmcderek/docs/filmmatchup-hungergames2-vs-ironman/1?ff=true&e=5873864/7236518

La la land for example: Foreign contribution of $55M accounts for Lionsgate’s pre-sales on the original musical plus the profits it generated in the UK where they control distribution of the film.  

They do not have much of a choice I imagine.

You are right, there is no doubt they pre-sold many market on this a la God of Egypts and would have not made it before being quite sure they will get buyers:

https://www.nasdaq.com/press-release/lionsgate-kicks-off-cannes-film-festival-with-unprecedented-array-of-new-and-extended-output-deals-20180508-01205

Has a general rules, they do not do a movie without at least 50% of it's cost covered by pre-sales if not 75%:

We relocated our international sales and distribution executives to London to be closer to key markets. We renewed and expanded output agreements with leading independent distributors in Germany, Italy, Spain, Scandinavia, Benelux, Eastern Europe, Australia and Canada, helping to assure a stable and reliable market for our slate of films with minimal overhead. In the process, we strengthened the centerpiece of our risk mitigation strategy through international pre-licensing of films to cover between 50% and 75% of our production costs and dramatically limit production capital at risk, even on our biggest releases.

Edited by Barnack

20 hours ago, dudalb said:

I am sick and tired of "New Takes" on classic stories, because they are never as good as the original stories themselves.

With Robin Hood, you have a problem that the Errol Flynn film did the classic Robin Hood legend so well it's very hard to top.

It was made in 1938,and had not dated a bit. And it is one of the most beautiful jobs of Color photograph in film history.

The ironic part of this of course is that Errol Flynn's Robin Hood is a "new take" on a classic story as well.

3 minutes ago, AJG said:

@That One Guys saying that Disney is looking to buy this movie and turn it into an MCU origin film. He’s been right before so this is big news.

They're scrapping Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 in favor of a sequel to this.  With Gunn gone, they're looking to make this their next big franchise.  Robert Zemeckis has been courted to do the mocap animated scenes for the next one, and they're also looking to implement a few of these scenes in the final cut of this movie.

Edited by That One Guy

1 minute ago, Morieris said:

Until this post I had no idea it changed.

What's also funny is that they're giving it the same exact name as the Ridley Scott/Russell Crowe/Cate Blanchett film from not even a decade ago which made over $100M. Although I suppose that movie's existence has become pretty much forgotten by now.

Edited by filmlover

10 hours ago, filmlover said:

What's also funny is that they're giving it the same exact name as the Ridley Scott/Russell Crowe/Cate Blanchett film from not even a decade ago which made over $100M. Although I suppose that movie's existence has become pretty much forgotten by now.

Which I suspect will be the fate of this one.....

31 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

Top 3 movies for the rest of 2018:

1 Alita

2 Alpha

3 This

They will kick the ass of corporate Hollywood garbage!!

You are joking. This film looks like the essence of corporate Hollywood Garbage.