baumer

The Godfather II

33 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Godfather II

My favourite Coppola story is still the one that when he made Godfather there was always another director on the set. The studio didn't trust Coppola so they created this option that made it possible to fire him any day.

My favourite Coppola story is still the one that when he made Godfather there was always another director on the set. The studio didn't trust Coppola so they created this option that made it possible to fire him any day.

LOL is that true? That sounds ridiculous and pathetic.

Lacks the iconic scenes of the first movie, but makes up for it with a very strong, resonant story and about the best pacing you can have for a film more than 3 hours long. It's pretty incredible that a film that is about 85% dialogue can hold one's attention for so long. The juxtaposition of Vito and Mike's similar yet ultimately completely different stories is masterfully executed with terrifically understated performances by both De Niro and Pacino.

A

Simply incredible, flawless move. I just adore it  :wub:

This is how you do a 3 hours+ film. The pacing is perfect. Great stories, engaging dialogues and iconic scenes. Good music too.

Acting performances were all great. I really wish that Al Pacino had gotten an Oscar in the role. 

All the A+ in the world.

• Like 2

I think this film has some of the best scenes in the series.The film.may drag in Cuba though..However it is one of those films when the credits role.... you are always blown away as you think "what an epic story"Also Michael killing his brother was so sad

continues with similar concerns as the first godfather, but with greater scope, particularly in a political sense. there may have been some flat spots, but overall i think this is superior to the first film. also, is there any point in watching the third? this one feels quite conclusive.

The third one is about Michael Corleone's attempts to redeem himself with the public and his family, but those attempts pulling him into a final struggle with Mafia elements that want him dead and his money in their pocket. Plus some Vatican/Pope shenanigans.

It has Eli Wallach, who is always a point in favor.

The third one is about Michael Corleone's attempts to redeem himself with the public and his family, but those attempts pulling him into a final struggle with Mafia elements that want him dead and his money in their pocket. Plus some Vatican/Pope shenanigans.

It has Eli Wallach, who is always a point in favor.

For all its problems, the final shot of GODFATHER III (and thus, the entire saga) is simply brilliant.

• Like 2

For me the scene where Michael tells Fredo he's not his brother or friend, and can only see their mother with Michael's permission is totally iconic. I get chills during that scene.

How about Michael agrees to see Fredo at his mother's funeral and holds Fredo in his arms while his eyes are telling his man that it's time to kill Fredo.

• Like 1

It's pretty much a perfect film right up until the end, when Fredo is assassinated by his own brother's henchman, which undermined a great deal of the emotional impact of the film, the aspect that made the sequel superior to the original in first place.

Then I heard Coppola's audio commentary for that specific scene to hear what he had to say, apparently that issue would be addressed in the third film, and depending how Coppola deals with it, Part 2 might or might not hold up.

As of right now 95/100

The Godfather Part II 95/100

The Rainmaker 85/100

The Godfather 80/100

The Conversation 70/100

The Outsiders 60/100

Apocalypse Now 55/100

Peggy Sue Got Marrie 50/100

Dracula 25/100

Funnily enough, this was the only movie I ever walked out of the theater (fucking college exams, had no energy to continue watching it). Now, one year later, I'm practically in love with the movie.

Edited by Goffe