CaptainJackSparrow

Five Nights at Freddy's | October 27, 2023 | In Theaters and Peacock simultaneously

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Went on sale here this morning and out of the three current showtimes it’s sold a total of 3 tickets. A big difference vs the US. 

I've always gotten the feeling the games are very big in the US but not big internationally so that fits. Do they even have Chuck E Cheese type places outside the US?

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Went on sale here this morning and out of the three current showtimes it’s sold a total of 3 tickets. A big difference vs the US. 

I think that’s why I’ve been so bullish on this underperforming due to it being “internet hype”, in the UK the games never seemed to be big at all. It really feels like a US-centric sort of thing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I think that’s why I’ve been so bullish on this underperforming due to it being “internet hype”, in the UK the games never seemed to be big at all. It really feels like a US-centric sort of thing.

I mean...We live in a world where Minions 2 was tracking for $70m OW, but thanks to TikTok memes, it somehow opened to $110m and a time when all other family movies were not even making much more than $110m total DOM. 13-17 year olds were 34% of the audience on OW according to PostTrak, which is unprecedented for a family movie.

People may not like it, but TikTok, and internet hype more broadly, are box office kingmakers nowadays. So a movie having a lot of internet hype only helps it succeed. This is also the reason why studios spend hundreds of millions of dollars marketing movies online to build hype on the internet. We saw this with Barbenheimer most recently.

The difference between FNAF and Detective Pikachu say, is that Pikachu hype died after the first trailer, and the geniuses at WB decided to open it 2 weeks after a movie that opened to $1.2b WW.. The game Pikachu was based on was never popular in the first place, unlike FNAF which has a dedicated fanbase to this day, and Youtubers like Markeplier and Pewdiepie contribute to it's popularity.

Edited by Bob Train
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

The game Pikachu was based on was never popular in the first place, unlike FNAF which has a dedicated fanbase to this day, and Youtubers like Markeplier and Pewdiepie contribute to it's popularity.

You're making a pretty damn big reach saying Pokemon is less popular than fnaf

10 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

You're making a pretty damn big reach saying Pokemon is less popular than fnaf

The mainline Pokemon franchise is much bigger than FNAF, there is 0 doubt about.. *Detective Pikachu* in particular is not.

It's a spinoff game no one cared about very much. In fact, it failed to get good reviews on MC, despite the fact videogame critics are usually the easiest marks. And while videogame sales aren't indicative of box office obviously, sales weren't great either. 

The popularity of the brand managed to push it past $400m+ WW, but I maintain that a more standard adaptation of the mainline games would have done a lot more. Obviously, that has been done many times in animated form, so I can see why the Pokemon company didn't want them to do that again, just in live-action.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bob Train said:

I mean...We live in a world where Minions 2 was tracking for $70m OW, but thanks to TikTok memes, it somehow opened to $110m and a time when all other family movies were not even making much more than $110m total DOM. 13-17 year olds were 34% of the audience on OW according to PostTrak, which is unprecedented for a family movie.

People may not like it, but TikTok, and internet hype more broadly, are box office kingmakers nowadays. So a movie having a lot of internet hype only helps it succeed. This is also the reason why studios spend hundreds of millions of dollars marketing movies online to build hype on the internet. We saw this with Barbenheimer most recently.

The difference between FNAF and Detective Pikachu say, is that Pikachu hype died after the first trailer, and the geniuses at WB decided to open it 2 weeks after a movie that opened to $1.2b WW.. The game Pikachu was based on was never popular in the first place, unlike FNAF which has a dedicated fanbase to this day, and Youtubers like Markeplier and Pewdiepie contribute to it's popularity.

I think the original post was in terms of it underperforming here in the UK vs the US, rather than it underperforming in America. 

It’s rated a 15 here so that’s no one under 15 even if accompanied. 

8 hours ago, Bob Train said:

The mainline Pokemon franchise is much bigger than FNAF, there is 0 doubt about.. *Detective Pikachu* in particular is not.

It's a spinoff game no one cared about very much. In fact, it failed to get good reviews on MC, despite the fact videogame critics are usually the easiest marks. And while videogame sales aren't indicative of box office obviously, sales weren't great either. 

The popularity of the brand managed to push it past $400m+ WW, but I maintain that a more standard adaptation of the mainline games would have done a lot more. Obviously, that has been done many times in animated form, so I can see why the Pokemon company didn't want them to do that again, just in live-action.

The new Detective Pikachu has an even lower MC score.  

3 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

Uk studios must really hate The Woman In Black.

It definitely seemed to be the moment where the BBFC just went “right, let’s appease the moaners who don’t understand what 12A means and just slap every horror with a 15”. It’s a shame because it gatekeeps horror from younger viewers. 20 years ago stuff like Insidious and the theatrical version of M3GAN would have been fine as 12A’s.

Edited by SnokesLegs

12 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

It definitely seemed to be the moment where the BBFC just went “right, let’s appease the moaners who don’t understand what 12A means and just slap every horror with a 15”. It’s a shame because it gatekeeps horror from younger viewers. 20 years ago stuff like Insidious and the theatrical version of M3GAN would have been fine as 12A’s.

Insidious got a 15 during the period of leniency 🤷

I remember being told by someone who works at the BBFC that There Will Be Blood got a 12A and then they bumped it up to a 15 because the distributor asked for it with an appeal. Dunno if that's going on with any of these soft horror movies.

45 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I remember being told by someone who works at the BBFC that There Will Be Blood got a 12A and then they bumped it up to a 15 because the distributor asked for it with an appeal. Dunno if that's going on with any of these soft horror movies.

Is that even a horror movie?

3 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

...you think TikTok is the reason and not the fact that the first one had a similar opening?

Yeah because Minions were on the decline DOM before Minions 2. DM2 > Minions > DM3 domestically. But Minions 2 reverted the decline.

33 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Yeah because Minions were on the decline DOM before Minions 2. DM2 > Minions > DM3 domestically. But Minions 2 reverted the decline.

Weird if you to consider Despicable Me 3 as a follow up to Minions and not...Despicable Me 2.

Edited by SpiderByte

Jason Blum was on one of the late night talk shows and he mentioned the tracking for this. Said it looks like it’s going to do way better than they expected.

He also said they deliberately have done nothing to make it accessible to people not familiar with it, and focused only on pleasing people who are already hardcore fans. (He then said the Universal PR team would kill him for saying that).

So I’m not sure how that’ll work with critics and general audience. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

He also said they deliberately have done nothing to make it accessible to people not familiar with it, and focused only on pleasing people who are already hardcore fans. (He then said the Universal PR team would kill him for saying that

Aw fuck they're going all in on the gigantic brick wall of lore, my big fear with Cawthon writing. Get ready for fucking mind control disks and for people to suddenly be revealed to have been robots all along!