CaptainJackSparrow

Five Nights at Freddy's | October 27, 2023 | In Theaters and Peacock simultaneously

9 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

They get a box office megahit and a streaming megahit at the same time. It is a win-win situation.

Yeah but... Wouldn't it still have been a streaming megahit if they had released it like 2-3 days later? That would've been worth it by adding to its OW, wouldn't it?

I don't know, I find it odd how they saw the mega pre-sale numbers and then decided to make the streaming release come out even earlier. What's the thought process there?

Edited by Arlborn

26 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

It's such a messed up strategy, I have no idea what they're trying to do here.

Can you imagine if Barbie had been a Day and Date release on HBO MAX? DOM probably would be half as much at $300m or something. We were lucky it wasn't released in 2021.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Yeah but... Wouldn't it still have been a streaming megahit if they had released it like 2-3 days later? That would've been worth it by adding to its OW, wouldn't it?

I don't know, I find it odd how they saw the mega pre-sale numbers and then decided to make the streaming release come out even earlier. What's the thought process there?

I think they may...Reconsider the day & date streaming release for the sequels. Now that the IP has proven itself, I think FNAF 2 could gun for It's $123.4m if they release it exclusively in theaters.

Just now, Bob Train said:

Based off presales this looks like it will be huge. Internet hype correlates heavily with Box Office, no doubt about it anymore.

I think it's bene pretty apparently since the Minions explosion at least? Maybe even earlier?

Barbenheimer was the confirmation, and this is just the cherry on the cake.

I bet marketing strategies will shift a lot next year.

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

Based off presales this looks like it will be huge. Internet hype correlates heavily with Box Office, no doubt about it anymore.

1 hour ago, Arlborn said:

I think it's bene pretty apparently since the Minions explosion at least? Maybe even earlier?

Barbenheimer was the confirmation, and this is just the cherry on the cake.

I bet marketing strategies will shift a lot next year.

Cocaine Bear says "Hello."

(on the other hand, M3GAN did do very well, I must admit, but even there M3GAN didn't break out to FNAF levels)

The way I would put it is at a certain level, Internet Hype is Very Real.  But it can be difficult to determine ahead of time what hype is real and what isn't.  Especially as there are levels of hype and it can be difficult to tell just what tier one is in before the pre-sales start rolling.

• Like 1

First UK screenings for the GA should be over in a few hours, depending on start time, so one way or the other WOM is gonna start spreading on the intrawebs.

While realizing the early shows are gonna be tilted toward the fan community, I must admit to being curious as to how the early WOM is gonna go and if it starts to get a decent amount of traction on various social media sites.

Edited by Porthos

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

Cocaine Bear says "Hello."

(on the other hand, M3GAN did do very well, I must admit, but even there M3GAN didn't break out to FNAF levels)

The way I would put it is at a certain level, Internet Hype is Very Real.  But it can be difficult to determine ahead of time what hype is real and what isn't.  Especially as there are levels of hype and it can be difficult to tell just what tier one is in before the pre-sales start rolling.

Tbf Cocaine Bear still did a Hell of a lot better than a lot of other horror/thrillers that came out this year. It also comfortably out-opened/outperformed the previous Banks directorial work, Charlie's Angels 2019 (though the jury's out on whether or not misogyny played a factor there), despite having a less bankable cast and similarly poor reviews.

But yes, M3GAN is the best example of this in 2023, outside of Barbenheimer. I think a lot of people have "traumas" (of sorts) with internet hype-heavy films since Pokémon: Detective Pikachu (or even as far back as Snakes on a Plane or Pacific Rim), but it's clear that this kind of culture and viral marketing are playing much heavier roles in mainstream cinema nowadays.

• Like 1

Where will it land on this list?

Biggest opening weekends for films directed by a woman?

Barbie $162m

Captain Marvel $153.4m* (co-direct)

Frozen 2 $130.3m* (co-direct)

Wonder Woman $103.3m

Fifty Shades of Grey $85.2m (rated R)

Black Widow $80.4m (available at home)

Eternals $71.3m

Twilight $69.6m

Pitch Perfect 2 $69.1m

37 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Where will it land on this list?

Biggest opening weekends for films directed by a woman?

Barbie $162m

Captain Marvel $153.4m* (co-direct)

Frozen 2 $130.3m* (co-direct)

Wonder Woman $103.3m

Fifty Shades of Grey $85.2m (rated R)

Black Widow $80.4m (available at home)

Eternals $71.3m

Twilight $69.6m

Pitch Perfect 2 $69.1m

Hopefully above 50 Shades of Snoozing, that would be cool 

2 hours ago, cooldude97 said:

Well, looks like it is indeed garbage. Universal wouldn't have saddled it with the day and date practice if it was any good. I would brace for a brutal second weekend drop, but Exorcist Believer managed to avert that, so I don't know. But then again, that was cushioned by Friday the 13th and this one only has a few days before Halloween comes and goes, so we might still see a legendary second weekend drop.