CaptainJackSparrow

Five Nights at Freddy's | October 27, 2023 | In Theaters and Peacock simultaneously

14 hours ago, Eric MacNeil said:

The things money makes people do, I laughed so much. I'm pretty sure if I were an employee I'd memorize these lines just so I could say them in a very slow and mechanical way to anyone who asked.

Rated a 15 here and with no streaming alternative (no Peacock) and no one under 15 can legally go, even if accompanied.  

Could cut off a lot of its audience. I’m getting the impression it’s biggest with 8-12 year olds, but I might be wrong.

Wonder if there’ll be a huge difference in US vs UK gross because of it. 

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Rated a 15 here and with no streaming alternative (no Peacock) and no one under 15 can legally go, even if accompanied.  

Could cut off a lot of its audience. I’m getting the impression it’s biggest with 8-12 year olds, but I might be wrong.

Wonder if there’ll be a huge difference in US vs UK gross because of it. 

Most people I know that are looking forwards to it said they're just going to stream it anyway.

31 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Same say review embargo.  Yeesh This is going to be hella frontloaded. This ain't going to play to anybody out of the fanbase/core audience. If this sniffs 100 million opening weekend it's dropping 80%+ week 2. 

Maybe 60%, but 80%? Nah. FNAF has 0 competition 2nd weekend unlike Halloween ends which faced $70m opener CBM Black Adam. And if it does reach $100m OW, then spillover will push demand to 2nd weekend.

Also, FNAF has decent amount of GA appeal.

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Short embargoes aren't always bad news,

(TV especially is usually very short notice) but...same day usually is.

Edit: it's also the social embargo. 🚩

Universal is not going for the casual/general audience here but it does not seem like they need to based on the early ticket sales. 

24 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Getting crap reviews has never stopped horror movies from making insane amounts of money. Insidious 5 has a 38% on RT, which did not stop it from having insanely strong walkups. 

I do think there is an important distinction between horror movies that do bad with critics and bad horror movies.

3 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

I do think there is an important distinction between horror movies that do bad with critics and bad horror movies.

This is likely to be the former, as videogame fanbases aren't exactly super critical on movie adaptations, and FNAF fanbase will eat it up either way, propelling it to huge numbers.

See how Uncharted, Mario, and Gran Turismo had meh reviews, but good WOM (didn't matter in GT's case as Gran Turismo simply cannot be adapted into film) amongst their respective fanbases.

8 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

I read the review and social media embargo for this lifts October 27th.

https://x.com/criticaloverlo3/status/1710359374449795149?s=46&t=Xix3muqN-1fjnYyOGlyCaA

And to the surprise of no one, this pretty much confirms the movie is garbage. This was inevitable the moment they decided to give this the day and date treatment in a year where streaming movies are being shifted into theatrical tentpoles.

53 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

And to the surprise of no one, this pretty much confirms the movie is garbage. This was inevitable the moment they decided to give this the day and date treatment in a year where streaming movies are being shifted into theatrical tentpoles.

And the fanbase does not seem to give a shit based on presales. It's still going to be a one week wonder though. This aint Mario.