CaptainJackSparrow

Five Nights at Freddy's | October 27, 2023 | In Theaters and Peacock simultaneously

5 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I see no reason to assume bad reviews would hurt a movie like this. I still can’t comprehend why they decided to do a hybrid release, though. They didn’t do that for Exorcist. 

Guessing Exorcist had contracts in place that it had to be a theatrical release first, while this did not.

The fact they made this a day-and-date should've been the sign they were always expecting this to be a one weekend wonder at most. Bad reviews won't hurt it with the fanbase (which luckily is big enough to drive a major opening weekend), but it could hurt appeal with those on the fence (which I don't there are that many people tbh - purely anecdotal, but I know no one in my circle over 30 who is interested in seeing this).

7 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Yes, which probably means it was not "always made for Peacock" years before they even announced intentions to launch Peacock 

I think it’s clear that you’ve missed my point. They weren’t actually making this film years before Peacock was launched. They started actually making it last year. 

“If Freddy’s numbers were so high, why did Universal opt to go day-and-date with this? I understand it simply boiled down to the movie being originally packaged as such. Will money be left on the table due to Peacock? Probably, though the debate is that the streamer’s penetration isn’t as big as Disney+ or Netflix. In the end, Freddy‘s is a driver to the OTT service.” - Deadline

• Like 1

I posted in this thread a few weeks ago that it was looking empty in presales here, not realising it opened on a Wednesday lol.

It did £1.3m+ yesterday here. 

For comparison Saw X’s first full weekend was £1.9m. Exorcist was £1.7m. So £1.3m in one day is excellent, especially when no one under 15 can see it. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 3

I'm more surprised they remember it at all. It was a COVID streaming dump.

I guess it didn't help that, in an attempt to cut in on FNAFs success, that and the Banana Splits movie (in the most...bizarre brand pivot ever) came out first, so the actual FNAF movie might wind up coming across as late to its own party. Similar thing happened with The Silence and A Quiet Place

10 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I'm more surprised they remember it at all. It was a COVID streaming dump.

I guess it didn't help that, in an attempt to cut in on FNAFs success, that and the Banana Splits movie (in the most...bizarre brand pivot ever) came out first, so the actual FNAF movie might wind up coming across as late to its own party. Similar thing happened with The Silence and A Quiet Place

Maybe to like...reviews...but not to like the core audience they're going for here. I'm not convinced this thing's going to be some gangbuster mega hit (Though if it does, I'll look dumb for sure) but the stuff you keep bringing up is getting bizarre frankly. 

29 on Metacritic now.

I do believe this film will be critic proof for the first week. There's no way the game series would've made it this long with such cheap presentation if people were picky about presentation and substance. The whole thing feels more like a big inside joke than appreciating the art form of gaming. There's something like "PT", and then there's "FNAF". I guess the lore and subreddit rabbit holes is what elevated the series to what it is today.

Welp, there's only so review-proof a movie can be. This is sitting at a 30 on Metacritic, and if it stays in that vicinity it will be among the lowest rated movies of the year. Right now, Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey is the only wide release with a lower score. Critics are more amenable than ever to dumb fun horror movies right now, but it sounds like this one just isn't fun. Fans will want to see it regardless because it's what they've been waiting for for years, but I'm sure the toxic WOM will be swift.

20 minutes ago, John Marston said:

looks like they decided to just cash in on the name but didn't care to make an actual good film. 

Why would they?

They only gave it a $20M budget and they’ll be in the green in the first 3 days from just coasting off the IP.

They knew it too that’s why it’s still on peacock day and date.

It’s all going according to plan.

Edited by Valencia

22 minutes ago, harrisonisdead said:

Critics are more amenable than ever to dumb fun horror movies right now, but it sounds like this one just isn't fun

Exactly. Historically lots of horror movies didn't/don't usually get too much love from mainstream critics, but they did have appeal to horror audiences. Even crazy schlock has its fans. But the reviews here aren't about shock value or ridiculous gore, its that it's boring and not good at the acurall horror part.

Edited by SpiderByte

50 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Embargos up. It's...bad.

The big recurring theme is "not scary" "the robots barely do anything" and "ridiculous amounts of exposition"

Surprise surprise FNAF turned out to be shit. Who could've saw that coming lol.

Don't matter. If the fanbase eats it up, it will be fine. These video game movies are essentially the new Disney remakes. Just give the fans their greatest hits and appeal to kids/teens and they'll be fine. There's a minuscule degree of separation between the Mario movie and the Disney renaissance live action remakes.

Edited by YM!