CaptainJackSparrow

Five Nights at Freddy's | October 27, 2023 | In Theaters and Peacock simultaneously

46 minutes ago, John Marston said:

looks like they decided to just cash in on the name but didn't care to make an actual good film. 

This series is all about cashing in. Fair game to them. If Transformers can have X amount of sequels directed by Michael Bay, why can't FNAF have the same? These games are S tier level guilty pleasures. Pokemon can be lumped in the same boat. This is not great storytelling. The substance is shallow. But it has fans. Somehow. Some way. I can say the same thing for Mario Bros. or Sonic (which I'm a fan of).

Edited by ThePhasmid
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, YM! said:

Don't matter. If the fanbase eats it up, it will be fine. These video game movies are essentially the new Disney remakes. Just give the fans their greatest hits and appeal to kids/teens and they'll be fine. There's a minuscule degree of separation between the Mario movie and the Disney renaissance live action remakes.

Well, it's Blumhouse, so it's literally already profitable because it's so cheap. But the reviews here are very different than Marios, which were mostly "really basic kids movie but Jack Black is fun" as the most common negative review. These are that it's bad as a horror movie, which is fundamentally different.

• Like 3

Just now, SpiderByte said:

Well, it's Blumhouse, so it's literally already profitable because it's so cheap. But the reviews here are very different than Marios, which were mostly "really basic kids movie but Jack Black is fun" as the most common negative review. These are that it's bad as a horror movie, which is fundamentally different.

I mean I was expecting FNAF to have shit legs the second a Peacock release was announced. There seems to be an air of fans expecting it to be ass but still wanting it on the screen, I know that because I'm one of the demographics and was talking about it to my students and younger cousins.

Pretends To Be Shocked Fake Shock GIF by AIDES

Anyone who still does day and date releases in 2023 is sitting on a bad movie they know will collapse after it opens. The novelty factor should get this to a big opening which I'm sure exhibitors will be thrilled to see, but the second weekend drop is going to be one for the history books. Worse or better than Halloween Ends's awesome 80% drop? I should make another club...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The second weekend drop is going to be just as fascinating as whatever number it puts up this weekend.

I am thinking low 60s/high 50s. So a bit worse than Nun 2 (-55%) and Evil Deas Rise (-51%) but on par with Exorcist: Believer (-58%) and Insidious: The Red Door (-60%)

It is worth noting that for many horror movies in 2023, people predicted 60-75% 2nd weekend drops, but they only dropped in the 50-60% range.

2 hours ago, Firepower said:

Since game's creator was heavily involved and had power to veto the final script, you can pretty much blame him too. The movie could be better if they took more liberties and weren't handcuffed by this Scott guy who has no experience in filmmaking.

It should've been a telling sign (when Chris Columbus was attached) they had a script everyone liked and then Cawthorn scrapped it...and the big talent all left the project.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

It should've been a telling sign (when Chris Columbus was attached) they had a script everyone liked and then Cawthorn scrapped it...and the big talent all left the project.

I think game creators shouldn't be heavily involved in live action adaptations unless they are great writers. Cawthron is clearly not, he just has massive ego and source material is not exactly magnificent piece of storytelling. A similar thing happened with Assassin's Creed. Ubisoft was disappointed with Prince of Persia movie and insisted to be involved hands-on with AC and in the end Ubisoft managed to make a much worse film than Prince of Persia.

Edited by Firepower

I feel like even Universal wasn't banking on this breaking out massively. I feel like they put in more effort for marketing Exorcist.

I can't remember the last time an IP was underestimated across the board like FNAF was. Even with Barbie, it was people doubting the popularity of the IP, and moreso people being unsure that a more elevated, PG-13 Barbie would be that appealing.

I bought 7 tickets for Saturday night.  Spouse tried to convince the kids to let him stay home, but this is the family Halloween activity, so we'll just plan on another "F" grade (I said, if I need to sit through it surrounded by 8-25 year olds, so do you:)...my kids said he needed to be there so he could understand their childhood...

Seriously, I hope it exceeds my expectations, which are about as low as they can go.  Maybe I'll get Chuck E Cheese nostalgia.  

Actually, it should be fun...I think.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

RT score down to 26%:whosad:

Still higher than Exorcist though 

My daughter just laughed at that when I told her about its score and somehow seemed to get more excited for it.

I really don't think the kids and teens care when it comes to this movie, it's kinda like... childhood nostalgia for them? Which is weird to say about literal children, but the franchise is already 9 years old I guess...

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

I bought 7 tickets for Saturday night.  Spouse tried to convince the kids to let him stay home, but this is the family Halloween activity, so we'll just plan on another "F" grade (I said, if I need to sit through it surrounded by 8-25 year olds, so do you:)...my kids said he needed to be there so he could understand their childhood...

Seriously, I hope it exceeds my expectations, which are about as low as they can go.  Maybe I'll get Chuck E Cheese nostalgia.  

Actually, it should be fun...I think.

You'll have more fun watching your kids react to the film and other kids in the audience vs whats happening on the screen.  That was my experience this afternoon as someone who knew nothing about FNAF but was dragged to the theater this afternoon, lol 

• Like 1