kayumanggi

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-verse | 12.14.2018 | Sony | Phil Lord and Chris Miller

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Spider Verse WW is more likely to be half of Panther DOM than over it. Which would still be excellent numbers.

I don't doubt that. But I think that we are all underplaying this film and it's BO potential, especially DOM. For OS markets, I think Aquaman will be the king. 

4 hours ago, AJ2k said:

My boy is going to go crazy over this movie similar to The Incredibles. He's a HUGE Spider-man fan already, keeps making me show him the trailer over and over and really likes that he shares the same name of the main character.  I took the 14th off so we can go to the theater to see during the day. 

You called your child Spider?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

20 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I need data pointing to a break out before I entertain the idea. Reviewers don't buy tickets and reviewers love movies that don't do massive numbers all the time. 

Same not to mention animated movies based on popular superhero films especially ones with a lot of cartoon/game/DTV ones (Lego Batman, TTG) (not to mention Miles is a prominent character in tje past two Spiderman cartoons and the Spiderverse as well) tend to less compared to the original ones or ones based on more obscure characters (Incredibles, Big Hero 6, likely Super Pets)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Same not to mention animated movies based on popular superhero films especially ones with a lot of cartoon/game/DTV ones (Lego Batman, TTG) (not to mention Miles is a prominent character in tje past two Spiderman cartoons and the Spiderverse as well) tend to less compared to the original ones or ones based on more obscure characters (Incredibles, Big Hero 6, likely Super Pets)

This happened to HTTYD2 as well.

• Like 1

Man I want this to do well so badly but yeah I think because audiences are used to seeing these heroes in live action some people unfortunately see them in animated form as a "downgrade" and something skippable. Incredibles was an original idea (not withstanding similarities to Fantastic Four) and Big Hero 6 was virtually unknown to the GA. Now if this film had the backing of the brand of Disney, Pixar or Illumination I could have seen this doing bonkers at the box office. 

I get that this is getting raves and what not and I’ll admit I haven’t been paying THAT much attention to box office/tracking stuff but as someone who watches CBMs all the time in theaters and has friends who do the same, I’m not getting the sense that this is breaking out as of right now tbh 

Having said that, it does have the holidays behind it and with the type of WOM it’s bound to have, I wouldn’t be shocked at a very very good multiplier. 

I guess what im trying to say is that I don’t expect this to have some huge OW or anything but I wouldn’t be surprised if it does very very well overall though. I think it’ll depend on whether audiences think they have to see this in theaters or if they can wait for it to come on Digital/Blu-Ray. 

Edit it to say that this has come to snatch The Incredibles 2 crown for best animated film at The Oscars 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 4

On the reviews, most movies start sky high if they are any good, so a grain of salt might be needed right now:)...I mean, looking at top critic grades, I might decrease the expectations of the movie's quality a little...from most of these critics, it seems to be a good to very good movie, but not an amazing or awesome one...

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

I get that this is getting raves and what not and I’ll admit I haven’t been paying THAT much attention to box office/tracking stuff but as someone who watches CBMs all the time in theaters and has friends who do the same, I’m not getting the sense that this is breaking out as of right now tbh 

Having said that, it does have the holidays behind it and with the type of WOM it’s bound to have, I wouldn’t be shocked at a very very good multiplier. 

I guess what im trying to say is that I don’t expect this to have some huge OW or anything but I wouldn’t be surprised if it does very very well overall though. I think it’ll depend on whether audiences think they have to see this in theaters or if they can wait for it to come on Digital/Blu-Ray. 

Its currently tracking in the 30-40M range, which would be a really solid start, and it could see an increase in the coming weeks due to the rave reviews.

A 35M opening and a Ferdinand multiplier would take it to 220M. I don't think that total's gonna happen, but the tracking and reviews do point to a very strong total.

• Like 1

Poor critics they were so desperate this year, they didn't have a Logan or Fury Road to arouse their limp biscuits this year , they had to wait for Demember to save face.

Give them a slightly weird looking meta (the art part of these proceedings) CGI Spidey movie and they will swear they have seen Mona Lisa coming to life at Le Louvre.

Praise from filmmakers & gamer guys with a Tweeter account should follow suit : Edgar Wright, Del Toro, Brad Bird, Hideo Kojima etc

Just like clockwork.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Haha 1