Plain Old Tele

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

Grew up with us both in books and in movies. Especially the movies as the were released mostly every year. I was 11 when the first movie came out (same age as potter) and 21 when it ended (not horribly older than potter when it ended. Definitely felt like letting go of a part of my childhood when the last film and books came out. Can't imagine any other series ending that would be able to influence my emotions in as powerful a way as these films/books.

I was 8 when the first was released. I was 18 and had just graduated from high school when DH2 was released. 

I LOVE HARRY RON AND HERMIONE.

• Like 1

I watched the first two Potter movies in cinemas and then stopped going. I usually bought the books when they came out but by the time the fifth one came out I got tired. I think I only learned about HP's ending in like 2012.

I was a strange kid/teen. :D

Strange. 95m is really good but it doesn't really impress me. DH2 obliterated the OD record at the time.....20m higher than any film before its time. This is just a slight increase over the OD record. And it would need to do well over 100m for one to argue it even sold more tickets than DH2 in the first 24hrs. Nonetheless....a very solid OD! The piblic seems to to eat these films up like crazy.

However for a film like AOU to have such a big opening day is impressive as it will make more on Saturday and Sunday. 

• Like 1

Well to be fair, DH2 really deserves the opening day record since it took place in 1 actual day as supposed to having previews start the night before at 7PM.

Blame the 5 extra hours! :P

• Like 4

No need for 300 posts about how Potter will be far more relevant forever then any of these Avengers movies. I agree, but c'mon :lol: This is all happening because Age of Ultron broke the OD record that belonged to DH2.

It deserves it because of Avengers 1, there is no ?. Potter deserves itS props too esp with that massive midnight total that will take a very long time for another franchise to crack.

Edited by GiantCALBears

Looks to a fantastic opening day.

So we have

Previews 26.7m

Friday 70.3m (97m total)

Most films tend to increase from at this time of year by 8 to 12% (big openers). Even SM3; im3 did it.

Even with a smaller bump. And a sun dip of 30%.

Sat 74m

Sun 51m

Weekend - 222m

Even flat Friday sat puts this on target for 215m.

If use history of this weekend then 230m + is in the picture.

I won't use locked but 210m+ is looking likely by this.

• Like 1

Well to be fair, DH2 really deserves the opening day record since it took place in 1 actual day as supposed to having previews start the night before at 7PM.

Blame the 5 extra hours! :P

Those fucking five extra hours man...

• Like 2

Oh yeah, I can believe Potter had a worldwide impact and still has. I mean I know a girl who plays Quidditch competitions (?!) with her second league local team (?!) and just got back from an Oxford tournament (?!).

She's 29.(?!!!)

:mellow:

• Like 3

so every source says 85-89 until disney announces they're confident about 200 and record going down, and suddenly "new industry estimates" appear saying 94-97m od. if they were gonna do this they should have at least gone big and said 100m

• Like 1

Hundreds of millions of Millennials GREW up with the Potter books. That's an impact on this generation that Marvel can't even begin to duplicate by any stretch of the imagination. To have characters your age grow up with you is unique.

And there was an enormous poll done by FB, and other sites that asked teens to choose their favorite books. Potter was always on top. And the books ended almost a decade ago.

Captain American was first introduced in March of 1941. Potter's huge, but we need to wait and see if people are still making movies about him in 2071 before deciding who has the bigger ultimate impact.