Noctis

MONDAY ACTUALS: AGE OF ULTRON - 13.23M (Normal -74% Drop)

As long as Guardians 2 is good it has a 400m chance simply because although it's Marvel it's more sci-fi and fresh than superhero film. I think Marvel films are going to start flatlining in that the Avengers movies gross less while the standalone movies grows a bit more (with avengers still being the big films)

Guardians 2 is 100% going to be heavily overpredicted with everyone assuming an increase, I can already feel it. There's a charming smugness to the first one that's very delicate, it'll be super hard to get just right again

• Like 2

WTH?

It isn't just another movie. It's the movie that had turned a boring character into such a beloved character just because the actor that played him was no longer alive. Nobody gave a damn about Brian O'Connor then Paul died and suddenly people came out of the wood to see the movie 'just for him'. Til this day people have been talking about the last 5 mins of the movie more than the movie itself.

I had the same issue with TDK. I'd rather see a movie making money on it's own merit.

Paul Walker was the top WORLDWIDE trend of 2013, even though he died with only 16 days of data tracking left. There was a reason behind that.

Itd money is its money, who cares whats on top? Both movies are smashing records and defying BO gravity, is that not enough? Do we have to put one movie down because your fanboy film didnt have anyone dying in real life to boost it? That is really pathetic.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 3

Guardians 2 is 100% going to be heavily overpredicted with everyone assuming an increase, I can already feel it. There's a charming smugness to the first one that's very delicate, it'll be super hard to get just right again

I still see Guardians like Pirates, a WoM hit that'll have a massive sequel.

• Like 3

The smugness surrounding the success of that one weren't so charming though lol.

• Like 2

Thank you.

Never said FF7 wouldn't have made shitload of money but without Paul's death it wouldn't have had a chance in hell to surpass DH2 OS.

And? Everything has advantages or is manipulated to success in one way or another.

• Like 1

I think Guardians will do like 360-370m.

It's gotta be good obviously. But, I'd say $335M is the floor DOM. Maybe $435M DOM the absolute ceiling. Why the fuck is Disney releasing it and Star Wars VIII in the same month?

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

Paul Walker was the top WORLDWIDE trend of 2013, even though he died with only 16 days of data tracking left. There was a reason behind that.

Itd money is its money, who cares whats on top? Both movies are smashing records and defying BO gravity, is that not enough? Do we have to put one movie down because your fanboy film didnt have anyone dying in real life to boost it? That is really pathetic. Pathetic.

I have no such bias, if AOU had a dead actor/actress and made 2b WW I would put an asterisk next to it too.

I liked Furious 7 but I agree. I also think it resulted to better reviews than expected. Many giving the thumbs up just for the expert handling of the Walker's exit. It likely earns roughly $275M DOM sans the Walker tragedy. And, while fantastic, TDK likely earns around $450M DOM sans the Ledger tragedy as well.

And, PDC, unless I misunderstood KATCH, no one's saying the first 6 were flops. But, this one's going to gross nearly $1.5B WW. That's nearly double the highest earner in the franchise.

275 is probably a but generous and 450m for TDK is very generous, TDK wasn't hitting 400m without Heaths death.

• Like 1

275 is probably a but generous and 450m for TDK is very generous, TDK wasn't hitting 400m without Heaths death.

$400m would have happened. TDK's WOM was legendary.

• Like 2

I think it's set up to be the next Pirates 2 in terms of increase.  However, everything I've heard from Gunn leads me to believe that he doesn't want to just make the same movie again.  He isn't afraid to change shit up, which is great, but could have a negative impact on the gross.  Which really sucks.    

I think Whedon felt the same way and didn't go the easy route of just copy and pasting Avengers best bits into the sequel.  It makes for a more interesting movie even if it doesn't all succeed.  

This feels like such a non-event compared to the last movie. Its like Furious 7 stole its thunder and the best movie of the summer opens in 11 days.

I hope!

• Like 1

I think it's set up to be the next Pirates 2 in terms of increase.  However, everything I've heard from Gunn leads me to believe that he doesn't want to just make the same movie again.  He isn't afraid to change shit up, which is great, but could have a negative impact on the gross.  Which really sucks.    

I think Whedon felt the same way and didn't go the easy route of just copy and pasting Avengers best bits into the sequel.  It makes for a more interesting movie even if it doesn't all succeed.  

I don't believe Feige/Marvel will allow him to shake up the formula much at all. Now that Black, Whedon, Wright have moved on, he's the last Marvel Studios filmmaker that I expect to really butt heads with Feige/Marvel.