Plain Old Tele

Pitch Perfect 2 (2015)

Pitch Perfect 2 (2015)  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Enjoyed it. It has a very very thin plot though, you can predict the plot beats from scene 1 onward. The returning characters are in fine form and Hailee Steinfeld is okay barring the out of nowhere romance plot she is involved in. Rebel Wilson gets way too much screen time at the expense of all the new and returning characters because she broke out in a semi-big way between the first movie and this one. Really could have used more character work on literally any of the other Bellas as opposed to having so many Fat Amy scenes.

Kendrick is good but seems like a bit player in her own movie for some reason, may be because her side plot is so bereft of any conflict it doesn't seem like she had a major arc. 

The acapella scenes, of course, are the highlight of the movie again but no memorable scenes this time unlike the audition, riff off, the "I saw the sign" and final performance scenes in the first one. Even the final performance here came off slightly weak. 

The movie is basically the cinematic equivalent of cotton candy, fun when you are watching it but literally all fluff and not something you will particularly remember later.

I will go with a B.

• Like 1

Good lord this was bad. Another Hangover 2 situation where none of the jokes land (many of which are weirdly unfortunately racist) and nothing has any merit or makes any sense.

I won't blame Elizabeth Banks though, because I actually appreciated how she filmed the music numbers (all forgettable except the fun German singers).

• Like 1

Eh, it's alright, but definitely a big step down from the first film. A lot more cringe then comedy here (The racist/sexist jokes could have been more effective if they weren't hammered in over and over again), the musical numbers don't have the spark that most of the numbers in the first film did, and Hailee Steinfeld's character is pretty bland.It's still cute and funny enough with the pre-existing characters that it's a fine way to kill two hours, but as a fan of the first film, I was disappointed.

Loved the number between Bumper and Fat Amy, though, as well as the first Das Sound Machine number at the car show.

I had some fun with it, but there was a lot of missed potential to develop Fat Amy's character; the movie seemed like it was gonna go down an interesting way with her character but then she ran back to Bumper... but besides that, there's decent laughs to be found, although it's not as good as the first simply because of novelty in the first one. It also needed more of the quiet girl, but it was okay/good B

David Cross is not billed under his real name in the end credits but instead as Sir Willups Brightslymoore.

:rofl:

Otherwise, if there were more than one and a half good songs out of the million that were in it, it might have been better.

6/10

• Like 1

I watched this movie with my friends. I wasn't excited for the second movie at first, but I'm really glad I watched it. Bellas were amazing at the end, but DSM were actually pretty cool with their final performance, if not better than the girls.

It was fun but a lot flatter than the first one. I was ok with more Fat Amy but the Kendrick plot was like a seperate movie that went nowhere. Overall I liked it, the only thing that's bugging me is that they had to win in the end. It didn't need to happen and Das Sound Machine was robbed in the final.