kayumanggi

DON'T BREATHE | 08.26.16 | Sony | final gross ● 89.22 M

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

What were the last horror flicks with very good reviews in the last 5 years or so ?

Conjuring 1 and ?

This has better reviews than Conjuring 2, that s crazy.

The Witch.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

What were the last horror flicks with very good reviews in the last 5 years or so ?

Conjuring 1 and ?

The Babadook, It Follows, and Conjuring 2

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

Conjuring 1 and ?

TOMATOMETER 

97%

15 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Conjuring 1 and ?

There's many horror movies receiving great reviews in the past years thanks to the ascension of the Indie Horror. 

I'm not a big horror guy, it is probably my least favorite genre, but I do like some and this one was excellent. I decided to see it because it was marketed well and I happen to like Jane Levy and it was well worth the price of admission.

There was 1 thing that started nagging at me though, and it didn't actually formulate in my thoughts until about 5 minutes after the movie ended as I was thinking about it.

Spoiler

How the hell did the blind guy end up with his daughter's killer chained up in his basement? The only thing that makes sense is she went to his house to apologize, but that means she would have gone without telling anyone and without driving (there was obviously no rich girl's car parked near his house) and taking a cab would have left a trail. Not to mention that when she disappeared he'd have been a suspect even though he's blind. Still, that's the only significant detail that bothers me a bit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Incarnadine said:

I'm not a big horror guy, it is probably my least favorite genre, but I do like some and this one was excellent. I decided to see it because it was marketed well and I happen to like Jane Levy and it was well worth the price of admission.

There was 1 thing that started nagging at me though, and it didn't actually formulate in my thoughts until about 5 minutes after the movie ended as I was thinking about it.

Hide contents

How the hell did the blind guy end up with his daughter's killer chained up in his basement? The only thing that makes sense is she went to his house to apologize, but that means she would have gone without telling anyone and without driving (there was obviously no rich girl's car parked near his house) and taking a cab would have left a trail. Not to mention that when she disappeared he'd have been a suspect even though he's blind. Still, that's the only significant detail that bothers me a bit.

Yeah the plotting isn't too strong here.

Spoiler

I also don't get how the cops apparently didn't find the pillow room or the young woman's corpse or enough evidence to suggest there was a third burglar in the house. Plus, it makes little sense that the blind man would actually have the entire 300k in his house and in cash. Even if we buy that he was too paranoid to put it in a bank or something, surely he would have spent at least some of it, especially with another person in the house?

The direction and Levy and Lang's performances are good enough that those aren't huge problems though.

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

Yeah the plotting isn't too strong here.

Hide contents

I also don't get how the cops apparently didn't find the pillow room or the young woman's corpse or enough evidence to suggest there was a third burglar in the house. Plus, it makes little sense that the blind man would actually have the entire 300k in his house and in cash. Even if we buy that he was too paranoid to put it in a bank or something, surely he would have spent at least some of it, especially with another person in the house?

The direction and Levy and Lang's performances are good enough that those aren't huge problems though.

As for part of your spoiler

Spoiler

There was no young girl corpse to find,  remember he concreted the body under the tile floor in the pillow room so they wouldn't even know it was there.

• Like 1

The co-writer and director of Don’t Breathe has great advice for our future generation of storytellers, “The one that I truly believe in is that, if you are a director or a writer and that’s what to want to do you should never wait for someone to allow you to do that.” After Alvaraz’s 2009 short Panic Attack went viral he gained more notoriety after co-writing and directing the 2013 reboot Evil Dead. “I think these days you can tell a story with a phone and really start shooting stuff and I think as a director you get better by doing. Like you do one, you do another short, you do another short, you get better.” His films even got people at Marvel talking about potentially directing one of their upcoming features. Alzaraz, not to keen on the idea at this time states, “I won’t say the film but what is true is that I just I decided not to go that route.”

http://screenrant.com/dont-breathe-interview-fede-alvarez/

• Like 1

That's a really interesting interview. I made a joke in the weekend topic saying that he would be the next James Wan, and now I read this, lol. 

I'm not surprised at all, he's a really talented director, it's not a surprise that Marvel wanted him to join the board, especially for a movie like Doctor Strange, but, I'm definitely surprised at his answer, how many 'small' directors, especially of horror movies would say no to Marvel? From what I read, he make these movies to exorcise his own demons and traumas, and he would not have the same chance making a Marvel movie, this is so cool, I always like to follow passionate directors, especially the ones who loves my fave genre.

I love this guy.

57 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

That's a really interesting interview. I made a joke in the weekend topic saying that he would be the next James Wan, and now I read this, lol. 

I'm not surprised at all, he's a really talented director, it's not a surprise that Marvel wanted him to join the board, especially for a movie like Doctor Strange, but, I'm definitely surprised at his answer, how many 'small' directors, especially of horror movies would say no to Marvel? From what I read, he make these movies to exorcise his own demons and traumas, and he would not have the same chance making a Marvel movie, this is so cool, I always like to follow passionate directors, especially the ones who loves my fave genre.

I love this guy.

From the AV Club interview: 

AVC: It sounds like, for you, being middle-of-the-road is not an option.

FA: No. It would be depressing. With my movies, at least. We all have things—in my everyday life, I can be as square as I want. But when it comes to movies and telling stories, I can’t. I’ve got to be radical, and on some level, that’s what I like to do. I like to get the audiences cozy in their seats, feeling safe, and suddenly they’ll be shocked out of their minds. They’ll go, “How is this thing playing here?”

He'd definitely get depressed at Marvel. Better keep doing what he likes and is good at.

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

From the AV Club interview: 

AVC: It sounds like, for you, being middle-of-the-road is not an option.

FA: No. It would be depressing. With my movies, at least. We all have things—in my everyday life, I can be as square as I want. But when it comes to movies and telling stories, I can’t. I’ve got to be radical, and on some level, that’s what I like to do. I like to get the audiences cozy in their seats, feeling safe, and suddenly they’ll be shocked out of their minds. They’ll go, “How is this thing playing here?”

He'd definitely get depressed at Marvel. Better keep doing what he likes and is good at.

You re better than this.