kayumanggi

Mission: Impossible - Fallout | July 27 2018 | Paramount | Reactions coming in | "Best action movie since Fury Road"

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

How many more of these you guys think Tommy has in him? How far into his 60s can he push this?

As @grim22 has said, I think in the next one or two they will start to shift things with a replacement to groom and eventually have him end up as the IMF chief. He can still do some stunts and action but doesn't have to break himself Jeremy Renner style every time.

4 minutes ago, Chewy said:

How many more of these you guys think Tommy has in him? How far into his 60s can he push this?

he'll stop when it kills him. probably mission impossible 9 when he dies trying to pull off a "getting eaten by a whale and escaping through the blowhole" stunt

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 2

Just now, 4815162342 said:

As @grim22 has said, I think in the next one or two they will start to shift things with a replacement to groom and eventually have him end up as the IMF chief. He can still do some stunts and action but doesn't have to break himself Jeremy Renner style every time.

Miles Teller hanging onto helicopter blades should be fun

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

he'll stop when it kills him. probably mission impossible 9 when he dies trying to pull off a "getting eaten by a whale and escaping through the blowhole" stunt

It'll be space-related at that point. He'll probably try to jump from a space station to a moving space shuttle with no wires or anything and float into space. 

Edited by MrGamer

5 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

tom cruise's face when he grooms jeremy renner to take over mission impossible but renner can't even make TAG without breaking his arms.

pPdNZ3c.jpg

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

The boys at Slant are often irritating contrarians but I don't see the problem with that blurb. The crucial part isn't about Cruise's ego (that's merely an aside), it's the "in the service of what exactly?", which tells you that he thinks the movie is hollow because there's no point behind the action. You can agree or not (personally I'm just fine with action for the sake of it) but it's a valid take. 

Also I've been working as a paid reviewer for more than 7 years and lemme tell you movies aren't fucking Olympics. Personal feelings are a vital and necessary part of "the job". 

So it s ok for a blockbuster action movie to not be a hot take on the human condition or having barely to no subtext or something to say at all when the stunts are REAL and it s not Fake CGI action crap yo !

GOT  IT.

For one brief moment, I thought action blockbusters being about entertainemnt and having a good time at the movies was WRONG becacause they are vessels of empty spectacle.

Edited by The Futurist

So an action star must risk his life in front of a camera for an action movie to be considred worthy to watch by the cinephile elites with delicate and sensitive palate.

Weird values and state of mind.

Dangerous even.

Don't fake outrage or surprise when Tom Cruise gets a serious injury on the set of  MI7 and he won't be able to do MI8.

Edited by The Futurist
  • ...wtf 1

Tom Cruise will do these movies forever. Even when he does, he'll come back as the spirit of Xenu and makes Mission: Impossible 18.

That said, I kind of hope 7 is the last one. Go out on the biggest bang imaginable; let it be about Ethan going on one last mission and instead of being disavowed, he gets the full force of the IMF to take the bad guys down. Bring everyone back. Maggie Q, Thandie Newton, Paula Patton, Henry Czerny, Anthony Hopkins, EVERYONE.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Tom Cruise will do these movies forever. Even when he does, he'll come back as the spirit of Xenu and makes Mission: Impossible 18.

That said, I kind of hope 7 is the last one. Go out on the biggest bang imaginable; let it be about Ethan going on one last mission and instead of being disavowed, he gets the full force of the IMF to take the bad guys down. Bring everyone back. Maggie Q, Thandie Newton, Paula Patton, Henry Czerny, Anthony Hopkins, EVERYONE.

Even... Dougray's return?!

@MrPink

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Cruise is gonna be doing these movies until he dies.  actually his wish at death is probably gonna ask them to use his dead body to continue filming more Cruise vehicles.  he’s just asleep for the entire movie.  so in Mission Impossible 14 we’re gonna get Cruise skydiving from outer space all while taking a nap

2 hours ago, The Futurist said:

So an action star must risk his life in front of a camera for an action movie to be considred worthy to watch by the cinephile elites with delicate and sensitive palate.

Like Tom Hanks did on Saving Private Ryan, Hardy/Theron on Fury Road, Bullock on gravity (I guess she did on that one with the robot automated camera were apparently dangerous), Hardy in Dunkirk, Jordan on Black Panther, Damon in Bourne Ultimatum, Elgort in Baby Driver, Evans in Snowpiercer, the CGI apes in those Planet of the Apes movies, Bale in Dark Knight, Craig in Skyfall, Ford in Force Awaken,  etc....

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

MI2 doesn't exist anymore apparently, from a review

And yes, there is a small attempt to tie in the last four installments together, although it’s not nearly as obnoxious or self-defeating as what we saw in Spectre. And yeah, the connective tissue all-but-retcons poor, under-loved Mission: Impossible 2 out of existence 

Apart from @MrPink, it won't be missed by most fans of the series

• Sad 1

I'm going to give you dorks the real talk.....

This move is so fucking great.  The hype on the action is not misguided. It is the best action this century, maybe the best in the last 50+ years or so.  

Even if this were simply all action, that would be enough, but this movie is funny.  It is legitimately funny.  There is something that happens in the opening that will have audiences rolling.  There is levity all the way through and even at the end when the stakes are at the highest, and none of it is forced.  

The even bigger miracle in all of this is the movie is so well shot. We see so many action movies that are poorly shot.  This movie is like the most confident person was shooting it knowing exactly what was needed and what the audience could handle.  The action is clear from every angle.  It is brutal and even with the long running time it never feels unnecessary.  

Enjoy this movie.  You so rarely get something like this.  The other thing is they obviously shot and re-shot and cut things right up until the end trying to make this a perfect as possible.  They weren't afraid to make hard decisions.  

This movie is a gift.  Go see it.  See it in a theater with the biggest screen and best sound.  Fuck Netflix.  This movie is why cinema in a theater is the only way to see most movies.  

• Like 18
  • Astonished 4