kayumanggi

Mission: Impossible - Fallout | July 27 2018 | Paramount | Reactions coming in | "Best action movie since Fury Road"

So the good reviews and fan hype got me interested in this but I hadn't seen any of the previous ones. I watched all of them in the last month or two and watched Fallout today and I think this series just isn't really my bag. I think they're pretty good from III on (I probably enjoyed 4 and 5 the most) but at best I just think they're pretty good, I don't love them and probably wouldn't pay to watch them in the future. Maybe it's because I watched them all so closely together that by the time I got to Fallout I was kinda bored with the tropes the series is built on (24/48/72 hours to find the macguffin, someone double crosses him, Ethan has to work for the enemy to save someone else, Elsa or whatever her name is will either save his life or interfere with his mission at the last second, Benji is annoying). The setpieces can be great though and the final one in Fallout was something special and probably the highlight of the series. I think it elevated the rest of the movie which for me was kinda the same old Mission Impossible, which I've found just isn't my thing.

Yarp, true story. Fascinating.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

There were at least three scenes in the trailers that were not in the film:

1. The team exploring some kind of attack scene, with dead armymen on the ground and blood dripping from the barbed wire.

2. Ethan Hunt dangling from a rope at the party setpiece, I believe.

3. The hint of a collision of the helicopter Hunt was piloting, with a big truck. This one was sold heavily as the last scene in the trailers.

I loved the movie and I’m rooting for it, but it’s cheap to tease these great scenes, sell the movie with the help of them and then just leave them on the editing room floor and never even include them on any other media as deleted scenes.

Edited by Xavier
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Xavier said:

There were at least three scenes in the trailers that were not in the film:

1. The team exploring some kind of attack scene, with dead armymen on the ground and blood dripping from the barbed wire.

2. Ethan Hunt dangling from a rope at the party setpiece, I believe.

3. The hint of a collision of the helicopter Hunt was piloting, with a big truck. This one was sold heavily as the last scene in the trailers.

I loved the movie and I’m rooting for it, but it’s cheap to tease these great scenes, sell the movie with the help of them and then just leave them on the editing room floor and never even include them on any other media as deleted scenes.

The first trailer came out a month and a half before the film even wrapped principal photography

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AJG said:

I don’t know how much money this movie has left to make but it leaked out online last night.

and for that I'm grateful, I got to watch it last night in the comfort of my living room. probs would have been better in Imax though 

On 9/14/2018 at 11:19 AM, TMP said:

Still the best edited big budget film of the year by a considerable degree

Except one glaring shot but you only catch it if you know Paris geography. When the helicopter containing the "asset" flies over Paris, it goes from west to south-east where the landing zone is located basically following the river Seine. But there's one flyover shot of Notre-Dame when the helicopter clearly flies from east to west as you see the chevet-apse of the cathedral which is facing the east side. The helicopter should be flying opposite because on this shot the landing zone is situated behind the helicopter and not forward.

Though it's really impressive in the Paris chase, when you pick up a detail in one shot (like a passer-by or a car) that is still present in the next reverse shot filling up the continuity seamlessly while maintaining the thrill and adrenaline-fueled flow of the sequence. No shaky cam, fluid takes, logical cuts. Dare I say that it's what TDK tried to do in a confusing way but McQuarrie actually did it in a tighter, more logical and more seamless editing.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

Except one glaring shot but you only catch it if you know Paris geography. When the helicopter containing the "asset" flies over Paris, it goes from west to south-east where the landing zone is located basically following the river Seine. But there's one flyover shot of Notre-Dame when the helicopter clearly flies from east to west as you see the chevet-apse of the cathedral which is facing the east side. The helicopter should be flying opposite because on this shot the landing zone is situated behind the helicopter and not forward.

Though it's really impressive in the Paris chase, when you pick up a detail in one shot (like a passer-by or a car) that is still present in the next reverse shot filling up the continuity seamlessly while maintaining the thrill and adrenaline-fueled flow of the sequence. No shaky cam, fluid takes, logical cuts. Dare I say that it's what TDK tried to do in a confusing way but McQuarrie actually did it in a tighter, more logical and more seamless editing.

Hmm, didn't notice the east/west mishap, but I've only ever visited the city once so perhaps I just wasn't informed enough on the landscape.

FWIW, I thought TDK had some great editing in it's action scenes, but Fallout felt like such an intricate masterpiece in both pacing and construction, especially in an era where most action films feel like they have their big spectacle moments pre-visualized before the director even comes on board. If you haven't had the chance, give the 6 hour 2-part Empire McQuarrie interview on Fallout a listen, gives even more perspective on just how much of a miracle this film ended up being given the production.

• Like 1