kayumanggi

Mission: Impossible - Fallout | July 27 2018 | Paramount | Reactions coming in | "Best action movie since Fury Road"

2 hours ago, TrickyNicky said:

I think he meant Skyfall...... Well, I hope he does.

It's not a comparison on a qualitative level, just that there are very basic elements of the story/tone that feel somewhat familiar  to Spectre (deeper connections to previous films though not overwhelmingly so, a return to a previous villain). Also consider that because it still contains Solomon Lane, the shadow organizations still play a part in the film. Since I made a comparison to TDK, it goes without saying that there are elements of Skyfall that also feel present in Fallout.

Regardless, execution is key. And the execution here, while maybe not as classy of a production as say, a Bond film, is considerably more thrilling and exciting than Spectre and Skyfall ever managed to get

Edited by MrPink

On 7/22/2018 at 5:29 AM, TMP said:

EoT has the tightest screenplay from any big budget film in the last 10 years. The movie just moves. Maybe only Fury Road comes close.

Fury road becomes pretty boring once it hits the halfway mark

17 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

It seems the whole plot has leaked online...If it's true, I quite liked it. 

Plot looks simple for a 146 minutes movie. Was such long running time necessary? 

Godzilla King plot leaked too. Everything leaks early these days.

57 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

It seems the whole plot has leaked online...If it's true, I quite liked it. 

Plot looks simple for a 146 minutes movie. Was such long running time necessary? 

I didn't really feel the length if that says anything. It moves everything along quite well, there isn't really a lot of padding. When the film does slow down it's not for long and is a nice breather from the intensity of the action scenes.

On a different note, really like what they do with Etha and the team dynamic. In addition to digging deeper into the character, he's actually really endearing and very likable throughout, constantly willing himself and his team through seemingly "impossible" situations. Rhames, Pegg, and Ferguson all get a lot to do.

• Like 1

McQuarrie is shaping up to be one of my favorite American action directors since John McTiernan's glory days. A deft balance between impeccably handled action sequences with a signature touch, and great dialogue delivered by actors at the top of their game.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 1:19 PM, Barnack said:

It is to show that (depending what you mean by better), that is not necessarily better to try to launch something new and they are rarely half hassed made by incompetent people even when they do not breakout. Look how well not trying to do something new like they did with Jumanji or IT went.

Mission Impossible musical theme, name, high concept are also attraction that would be why it could work better than trying to make something new if they ever do (for example turn it into a Rebecca Ferguson vehicle). They could make a marketing study that show too little interest in a Cruise less version (would not surprise me), but maybe not.

And Mission Impossible was a very successful and long running TV series before the movies.

You could rebuild it closer to the TV show and an ensemble movie focusing on the team rather then a star.

It was interesint that Rogue Nation was closer to the TV series then any previous movie;instead of a huge action sequence as the climax (although the film had plenty of them) it was carefully planned trap descending on the villain. That was straight out of the TV show.

But Cruise can't keep doing these films forever, and Paramount has a few decisions to make. IMHO, they will give a Cruiseless version a shot.

Saw it last week, very good. 

There's definitely something about knowing you're watching actual actors do stunts and watching practical effects that makes the action so much better. I have no idea how they pulled off some of the shots.

Edited by noknobs

2 rotten reviews - 

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mission_impossible_fallout/reviews/?page=2&sort=

Can you enjoy his knockabout adventures? Definitely. But can you care about them? Impossible.
Full Review | Original Score: 3/5

July 13, 2018
I like the cheek of these films when they're good. The new one has long stretches when it is bad.
Full Review | Original Score: 3/5
Edited by matrixdmath5

18 hours ago, MrPink said:

It's not a comparison on a qualitative level, just that there are very basic elements of the story/tone that feel somewhat familiar  to Spectre (deeper connections to previous films though not overwhelmingly so, a return to a previous villain). Also consider that because it still contains Solomon Lane, the shadow organizations still play a part in the film. Since I made a comparison to TDK, it goes without saying that there are elements of Skyfall that also feel present in Fallout.

Regardless, execution is key. And the execution here, while maybe not as classy of a production as say, a Bond film, is considerably more thrilling and exciting than Spectre and Skyfall ever managed to get

Thanks for that. The themes do seem similar but hopefully that's where it ends in comparison. Spectre failed to dazzle in plot and action. Something I don't think Fallout will have a problem with and hopefully its runtime is justifiable. If its more exciting than the last 2 bond films then we are all in for a treat.

You mentioned Solomon Lane. He is the character I'm so interested in. It seems like Hunt needs his help this time. Hopefully there is more to this than meets the eye.

Edited by TrickyNicky
  • Like 1