kayumanggi

THE SUICIDE SQUAD | August 6 2021 | James Gunn writing and directing

2 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Of course they’re confident in the quality. That was never in doubt. It’s the box office where concern lies. A major comic book movie with this level of reception shouldn’t be tracking as low as this is. 

What is its tracking this far out?

If it's as good as some people are claiming it to be, then I really hope it gets the appreciation it deserves within the next few years. Because it's definitely going to lose money for the studio at this point. How much is not certain. But the stench of the first movie is still alive and well if Birds of Prey is any indication. And in the middle of a pandemic, I just don't see people risking their lives to go see a sequel to a movie they hated.

32 minutes ago, belblazer said:

These BW numbers lmao... and there are people thinking that this will do well. I only hope for the quality and maybe people will show up.

But anyways this will surely have a third movie.

It's not gonna do as well as Black Widow, but I think it can open at like 45-55 OW.

18 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Does anyone have any idea when the review embargo will drop? It might be a good idea for WB to let it drop early.

I saw a Uk critic say it was this Wednesday so we’ll see.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Warner’s always wait until one release is out of the way to start on the next. Space Jam is out now, Suicide Squad will pick up soon.

I saw lots of bus shelter posters and adverts on the side of buses today in the UK, so it definitely seems to be picking up.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dudalb said:

Nor surprising given the lack of marketing.

I think Warners might have just waited too long to start the push.

It’s more so the trailers aren’t good enough. And they had Space Jam. Now that SJ opened, they have a solid 2 weeks before opening weekend. I don’t know how much they can move the needle. So the goal should be WOM since Free Guy is DOA and August is desolate. But again, WOM with HBO MAX is tricky 

40 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

It’s more so the trailers aren’t good enough. And they had Space Jam. Now that SJ opened, they have a solid 2 weeks before opening weekend. I don’t know how much they can move the needle. So the goal should be WOM since Free Guy is DOA and August is desolate. But again, WOM with HBO MAX is tricky 

I have to agree about Dead Guy’s chances. 

As long as this movies fun I think it will do well. Fun is important because let’s be honest Black Widow is not the most fun superhero movie (due to its subject matter). Good reviews are important for legs and WOM.

I say that because I just realised that this film will open during the Olympics! A big sporting event like that could dampen opening weekends but I guess we’ll see.

Edited by exomassey
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, exomassey said:

As long as this movies fun I think it will do well. Fun is important because let’s be honest Black Widow is not the most fun superhero movie (due to its subject matter). Good reviews are important for legs and WOM.

I say that because I just realised that this film will open during the Olympics! A big sporting event like that could dampen opening weekends but I guess we’ll see.

I don’t think the Olympics will make much of a difference. The first movie opened during the Olympics too. 

I'm a fan of these sporting events but this time it's not too easy to watch it in Europe. Good for the movies (maybe except for family films or films for smaller children). I looked into the TV program and here the Olympics are broadcasted starting 11pm-2am and ending at 5pm (ca. European and African time zone, so the competitions are mostly in the night and end in the afternoon).
In the USA, in Canada and other countries it could hurt more I guess but OTOH normally the finals etc. are in the evening (evening in Tokyo). Unless they change that mode but I doubt that.

43 minutes ago, el sid said:

I'm a fan of these sporting events but this time it's not too easy to watch it in Europe. Good for the movies (maybe except for family films or films for smaller children). I looked into the TV program and here the Olympics are broadcasted starting 11pm-2am and ending at 5pm (ca. European and African time zone, so the competitions are mostly in the night and end in the afternoon).
In the USA, in Canada and other countries it could hurt more I guess but OTOH normally the finals etc. are in the evening (evening in Tokyo). Unless they change that mode but I doubt that.

The marquee Olympic events US people care about will be over by the time Suicide Squad releases here.