kayumanggi

THE SUICIDE SQUAD | August 6 2021 | James Gunn writing and directing

18 minutes ago, excel1 said:

The original had one of the best marketing campaigns I have been able to follow, up there with MAN OF STEEL and THE DARK KNIGHT. 

It’s still absurd how that SS marketing was maybe “too”

successful considering WB recut/reshot stuff so the movie would better match the marketing. A true tail wagging the dog moment.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cax16 said:

Makes sense, sucks for the box office but I guess AT&T fucked that up for this whole year. I hate how AT&T handled WB. I want to hope things will be better with the discovery merger but who knows. 

The Hunger Games?

I'm honestly starting to think this is going to outright flop. No real draws, the foul stench of the first movie (which also killed Birds of Prey) and the HBO Max dual release make for a highly toxic cocktail. James Gunn should be thankful the Peacemaker series has already started filming, because otherwise the plug would have been pulled.

Regardless, I'm still glad he got to make the film he wanted. He has Guardians of the Galaxy 3 in the wings, so he shouldn't have trouble bringing food to the table anytime soon.

16 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Trailer is attached to Black Widow here in the UK and it has the Empire magazine covers this month. 

It’s out a little earlier here though, July 30th. 

Same date over here in Turkey. The trailer (the more somber one) was attached to both F9 and Black Widow.

6 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I'm honestly starting to think this is going to outright flop. No real draws, the foul stench of the first movie (which also killed Birds of Prey) and the HBO Max dual release make for a highly toxic cocktail. James Gunn should be thankful the Peacemaker series has already started filming, because otherwise the plug would have been pulled.

Regardless, I'm still glad he got to make the film he wanted. He has Guardians of the Galaxy 3 in the wings, so he shouldn't have trouble bringing food to the table anytime soon.

I’m sure WB has taken everything into account when factoring box office for this year and how this movie has an uphill battle cause of the first movie already. How can they possibly expect this to be a huge hit when it’s being released on max, is rated R so it won’t release in China, and many other places don’t even have theatres open. They probably gave Gunn the show cause they were happy with the movie. 

It seems more likely that they’ve basically written off all box office this year cause of the dual release movies on Max. 

Edited by cax16

The 2016 film was horrible but it made everyone aware of what was before an unknown property. If WB hadn't made that film, it would probably be much harder to sell James Gunn's Suicide Squad now. In my opinion, the awareness David Ayer's film brought to the property has a much bigger positive impact in this than its negative reception. It's up to this new film to be interesting to audiences. If Aquaman could become the highest grossing DCEU film following the universally hated, first box office bomb in the franchise, anyone can overcome a bad previous entry.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

WB marketing has been really lackluster with the arrival of MAX, I've noticed. Kong sold itself so notwithstanding and they really went out of their way with In the Heights to disappointing results but Malignant still lacks a trailer and Space Jam/Conjuring didn't pick up the marketing blitz until the week of release. 

I agree with this. The marketing for The Conjuring 3 was severely lacking, and their trailer drop for Reminiscence was pitiful. I'm looking forward to that movie, it could turn out to be a dud, but I don't see any scenario where that's a box office success. I imagine the budget is above $60m, but yet they just shit that trailer out. Pathetic

This movies looks fun but it does have a lot riding against it. I wouldn’t consider being R Rated a negative considering Jokers and Deadpool success.

However with the reception of the first one, the HBO Max release and no Joker or Will Smith, it has an uphill battle.

Critics reactions are very important for this movie.

28 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

The reaction to the trailer in theaters was kind of alarming.

Really?

I wouldn’t say the trailer reactions were alarming but more the lack of buzz around them. 

I think the marketing has failed to establish that this is basically a reboot. I genuinely think there is people out there who are like ‘where is Will Smith and Joker?’ lol

1 hour ago, exomassey said:

Really?

I wouldn’t say the trailer reactions were alarming but more the lack of buzz around them. 

I think the marketing has failed to establish that this is basically a reboot. I genuinely think there is people out there who are like ‘where is Will Smith and Joker?’ lol

It’s not a reboot. It’s a standalone sequel. 

3 hours ago, Pinacolada said:

I agree with this. The marketing for The Conjuring 3 was severely lacking, and their trailer drop for Reminiscence was pitiful. I'm looking forward to that movie, it could turn out to be a dud, but I don't see any scenario where that's a box office success. I imagine the budget is above $60m, but yet they just shit that trailer out. Pathetic

In America because of HBO max probably, but their international marketing for Conjuring 3 was great, hence the great OS box office. 

10 minutes ago, Marcos12 said:

Worried about Suicide Squad after those BW (meh) numbers, let's see if the movie gets a better WOM than BW.

I’d expect $35-45m for this. 

Praying WB sticks to the plans they currently have now. My comments are in respects to his second tweet how characters will be crossing over in other stuff. 

Edited by cax16

3 hours ago, exomassey said:

Really?

They have though. Every statement I've seen from people involved are about how it's not connected to the first movie, how it's not a sequel etc