grim22

The Meg | Aug 10 2018 | WB-China co-production | IMAX 3D | Jon Turteltaub directing. Jason Statham fights a shark. Li Bingbing replaces Fan Bingbing.

Statham is more a big home video star than a box office one usually (and is projects tend to be built in consequence).

32 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

King Arthur or Geostorm

Can see that happening a 150-235 box office do look possible, but so is making 140m in China alone and 290m WW.

Edited by Barnack

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Wasn't this movie funded in part by a big Chinese studio like Skyscraper was? I think it's obvious they know where most of the cash will come from and don't care if it flops here (which it will).

Gravity picture yes and they will release it in China themselve I think, Flagship Hong-Kong based is also participating in the financing.

http://chinafilminsider.com/tag/gravity-pictures/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flagship_Entertainment

That, Statham and the Binbing's casting do show an obvious effort for an intl business and not counting on domestic.

It could obviously do 100m-150m Rampage like there, I would imagine. Lorenzo di Bonaventura production with the Transformer franchise have probably a good sensibility/awareness for the intl markets.

6 hours ago, filmlover said:

Wasn't this movie funded in part by a big Chinese studio like Skyscraper was? I think it's obvious they know where most of the cash will come from and don't care if it flops here (which it will).

Pretty much. Its getting a release during the blackout period so no Hollywood competition either.

16 hours ago, Barnack said:

Statham is more a big home video star than a box office one usually (and is projects tend to be built in consequence).

Can see that happening a 150-235 box office do look possible, but so is making 140m in China alone and 290m WW.

My post and the forum are about box office, and home video revenue is not as huge as it used to be when he was putting out those Transporter movies. 

5 hours ago, PenguinHyphy said:

My post and the forum are about box office, and home video revenue is not as huge as it used to be when he was putting out those Transporter movies. 

You know very well it is not just about that, see how many time a movie net budget is mentioned on this forum (something that has nothing to do with the box office).

Do you have good data that achieve to take into account some streaming spending correctly (like Amazon Prime membership), because the data could be inflated but apparently US home videos revenues are soon to get back to the biggest unadjusted ever and are bigger unadjusted than when he started Transporter in 2002:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/188944/us-consumer-spendings-on-home-entertainment-since-1999/

I suspect a major SVOD inflation here to make the numbers look better than they are (and how can they divide revenues that are for tv product vs movie product on those)

Edited by Barnack

56 minutes ago, Alli said:

not that i think it matters that much, but this has a high number of views on youtube. plenty of likes too. there's interest there imo

Most of the views and all of the likes are from me though.

• Astonished 1

On 7/29/2018 at 2:49 AM, Yandereprime101189 said:

Didn't at one point it seemed like Sony didn't know what the hell to do with Slenderman?

https://variety.com/2018/film/markets-festivals/slender-man-sony-1202826660/

But now  Slenderman is apparently tracking very well.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3510892/sony-feeding-slender-man-sharks/

If Mi6 and Christopher Robin get under 30 next weekend, #1 should be up for grabs for The Meg. 

Megalodon could average $7,000 or more in 4,000 locations.  

Still a disaster though.  They really need to team up with some fast food advertising ASAP.

Whatever they did with IT, and then raise the bar some.  They did so with the production budget at least, lol.

Edited by dmatrixfilm1715

will the effect of Slender Man opening versus Megalodon next week affect Megalodon to the amount that

a HD leak of The Meg would produce against it?

that is, anywhere from 0.01% to maybe a few percent maximum?

The Shallows was a recent PG-13 Horror film that moved up against Independence Day 2 and ended up opening well in the thick of it.