grim22

The Meg | Aug 10 2018 | WB-China co-production | IMAX 3D | Jon Turteltaub directing. Jason Statham fights a shark. Li Bingbing replaces Fan Bingbing.

10 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Especially for The Divergent series. :sparta:

Would like to look at the book sales the 2 month before release for those also, would not surprise me if it was a good correlation also.

(sales numbers are physical no e-sales and does not include WalMart and some other major outlet, so they can use to be compared by book released around the same time targeting similar audience but are not indication of the total sales)

Twilight sold 1.173m book the 8 weeks before domestic release in the domestic market and 3.89m in total before it did open, 70m OW

Hunger games sold 1.63m book the 8 weeks before it domestic release and 5.39m in total before it's OW, 152.5m OW.

Divergent sold 660k in 8 week and 2.3m in total 54m.

Fault in our star 1.49 in 8 week, 2.68m total, 48m OW.

OW / Book sold before release 

twilight: 18

HG: 28.3

Divergent: 23.5

fault: 17.9

Using the salse book just the months before the release

Twilight: 60

HG: 93.5

Divergent:  81

Fault: 32

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Would like to look at the book sales the 2 month before release for those also, would not surprise me if it was a good correlation also.

It was a bad joke about the non-Existent last (half-)book adaptation, but as usual you wrote a much better reply than the post merited.

That's exactly how I felt about that comment :).

I don't think The Meg will come close to e.g. Skull Islands OW. It's just fun. But did you see? Boxoffice.com lifted their prediction up 62% to 23.5M/60M total now (Slender Man 15.5M/40M).
Of course I still have no idea how it will do. I only saw that at Pulse it was always popping up a few times when I counted e.g. Christopher Robin. So among the movies released next week The Meg was clearly in front and in the first half of the week Slender Man was #2, later BlacKkKlansman.
Saw that The Meg gets at least 3.900 theaters next weekend, not bad.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 1

This legit looks like a total blast. WB are really great at last minute campaigning so we could get a $35M+ OW. Also legs should be good considering how barren the rest of the month is and a boost from Labor Day weekend. Looks like a film that China would love. 

My current prediction: 

OW - $30M 

DOM - $85M 

China - $110M 

WW - $350M 

Could see it doing more. 

Edited by Godzilla

On 8/4/2018 at 4:24 PM, Godzilla said:

This legit looks like a total blast. WB are really great at last minute campaigning so we could get a $35M+ OW. Also legs should be good considering how barren the rest of the month is and a boost from Labor Day weekend. Looks like a film that China would love. 

My current prediction: 

OW - $30M 

DOM - $85M 

China - $110M 

WW - $350M 

Could see it doing more. 

yeah, WB is usually good with their marketing.  

we haven't seen a shark movie in a while. the shallows managed almost 17M OW.   The Meg has a lot more going for it. it's bigger in scope and i suspect it has a bigger marketing budget. it also opens in way more theaters