grim22

The Meg | Aug 10 2018 | WB-China co-production | IMAX 3D | Jon Turteltaub directing. Jason Statham fights a shark. Li Bingbing replaces Fan Bingbing.

Can only "help" with the first German review which is a 4/5. To my big surprise. I'm sure it won't go on like that and others will be worse but I trust that site a lot when it comes to having good times in theaters (moviejones.de).
They say that the film has atmosphere and that the introduction is pretty solid. The whole film would be a surprisingly well made mix of action and fun but also quieter moments and that the storyline (loosely guided by the first book) isn't oscar-worthy but also not too thin. The film actually would have a plot and because of that it wouldn't become boring. Good collaboration also of Western and Far Eastern actors and not only J. Statham gets something to do, in fact it would be pretty even between several actors. The effects are good but not completely overwhelming and they wished it would have had (even) more effectshots.
Overall the biggest plus of the film besite the fun would be the fine balance between the humor (often with a wink) and the seriousness.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

So maybe good enough for a Best Popular Film Oscar?

We will see ;). So far I'm happy that it's obviously no letdown (if somebody likes that kind of films) especially because I expected almost nothing.

7 minutes ago, The Fast and the Furiosa said:

“The Meg” is now considered a full co-production under Chinese regulations. That means it does not need to be imported under China’s revenue-sharing quota system, and rights-holders including Warner and Flagship can earn 45% of gross revenues, rather than the 25% that foreign studios receive under revenue-sharing terms. It also allows Gravity Pictures, which is owned by CMC, to handle the release, bypassing the two state-owned enterprises that release nearly all the quota films.

So I guess it is not about China helping / saving that movie at this point, it is more would it need help of domestic or not, probably mean access to China ancillary market also but apparently unlike the rest of the planet were it tend to be 60-70% of the revenues it is only 11% of it there.

• Thanks 1