grim22

The Meg | Aug 10 2018 | WB-China co-production | IMAX 3D | Jon Turteltaub directing. Jason Statham fights a shark. Li Bingbing replaces Fan Bingbing.

11 hours ago, dudalb said:

I agree, but a 25 million opening is not great if it really does have a 150 Million budget.

This is made for an international audience.  If it can make 150 mill in China, it will have made back half it's budget in just that market alone.  

48 minutes ago, baumer said:

This is made for an international audience.  If it can make 150 mill in China, it will have made back half it's budget in just that market alone.  

PS for OD in China looks very promising 

• Like 3

25% vs 50% from china makes a whole lot of difference for movie that's gonna do it's biggest numbers there.

say Meg does 75 dom + 150 china +150 os-china = 375 ww

then approx theatrical revenue with 0.25 vs 0.50,

75*0.55 + 150*0.25 + 150*0.33 = 128

75*0.55 + 150*0.50 + 150*0.33 = 166

btw with 425+ ww Rampage theatrical was around,

99.3*0.55 + 156*0.25 + 170*0.33 = 150 (120 prod budget)

Edited by a2k

I like this Turteltaub fella.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/106128583/the-meg-how-director-jon-turteltaub-helped-taika-waititi-with-his-shark-movie

Veteran Hollywood helmer Jon Turteltaub (National Treasure, While You Were Sleeping) told movie website Slash Film how he first met Taika Waititi at a Sundance Film Festival directors' lab around 12 years ago.

"He was the young director coming up, workshopping Eagle Vs. Shark.  And we just spent a lot of time together.  And I was shocked he thanked me [in the movie's credits].  It was so nice.  But Taika is the guy I still wanna be.  And I hate that somebody younger than me is that awesome.  He's just too damn good looking.  Too charming.  Too funny and too talented.  And he, and then when Wilderpeople came out, it was just the whole world finally saw how great he was.

"And then of course with Ragnarok which was a, I mean, the most brilliant hire for Marvel ever.  Brilliant.  And he killed it.  So he's done, he's set." 

• Like 2

Jon Turtletaub also did the incredibly underrated and vastly under seen movie called Instinct, with Anthony Hopkins and Cuba Gooding jr. That movie demands to be seen and it definitely showcased him as a great director.

• Like 1

I saw it last night. It was mindless fun – a nice blend of action and humour.

My biggest complaint – and the one I'd imagine most will have – is that there just... wasn't enough shark action. 

Spoiler

The beach party scenes that make up like half the trailer and basically all of the posters lasts about 3 minutes. I wanted more of the meg wreaking havoc.

3 minutes ago, John2015 said:

Jason Statham Says ‘The Meg’ Theatrical Cut Is ‘Radically Different’ Than the Bloody Movie He Signed Up For

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/08/jason-statham-the-meg-theatrical-cut-different-gore-1201992560/

Statham said Turteltaub envisioned “The Meg” as a “fun end of summer movie” full of humor, whereas the actor wanted the film to include the “gory adult stuff” that was included in the original concept. Statham responded to a comment that the film is fun by saying, “Yeah but you go, ‘Where’s the fucking blood?’ It’s like, ‘There’s a shark.’”

:rofl:

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, a2k said:

25% vs 50% from china makes a whole lot of difference for movie that's gonna do it's biggest numbers there.

say Meg does 75 dom + 150 china +150 os-china = 375 ww

then approx theatrical revenue with 0.25 vs 0.50,

75*0.55 + 150*0.25 + 150*0.33 = 128

75*0.55 + 150*0.50 + 150*0.33 = 166

btw with 425+ ww Rampage theatrical was around,

99.3*0.55 + 156*0.25 + 170*0.33 = 150 (120 prod budget)

For a co-production it is closer to 40% than 25% no ?

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Barnack said:

For a co-production it is closer to 40% than 25% no ?

guessed it was 50%. will agree with your number. would give meg 151 theatrical with that break-down

75*0.55 dom + 150*0.40 ch + 150*0.33 os-ch

46 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

The net budget is $130 million. 

aka: The budget number studio wants people to believe?

WB said that Fury Road net budget is $150 million.  Finally it is revealed (in the lawsuit) that the actually net budget is $185.1 million.

Edited by John2015