grim22

The Meg | Aug 10 2018 | WB-China co-production | IMAX 3D | Jon Turteltaub directing. Jason Statham fights a shark. Li Bingbing replaces Fan Bingbing.

43 minutes ago, John2015 said:

aka: The budget number studio wants people to believe?

WB said that Fury Road net budget is $150 million.  Finally it is revealed (in the lawsuit) that the actually net budget is $185.1 million.

The Sony Leaks have the real budget for Guardians of The Galaxy and another Marvel movie (they were trying to figure out the SpiderMan deal). Both were more than what was reported.

• Like 1

can't believe the net budget went down.  it seems if there is to be a big budget shark movie sitting around for years with a $150M pricetag, past events show these budget #s stretch to 200M.  

I was surprised last year how Dunkirk's budget went all the way down to $100M, and then they said it cost $100M firm and I was like wow.  

10 minutes ago, AJG said:

The Sony Leaks have the real budget for Guardians of The Galaxy and another Marvel movie (they were trying to figure out the SpiderMan deal). Both were more than what was reported.

First time I hear of that one. Do you remember a source for it, a bit hard to google for me cannot seem to find anything about it.

A remember Disney saying to Forbes they were right about the movie going over budget after they saw their UK filled accounting of the movie:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/csylt/2015/01/27/disney-reveals-guardians-of-the-galaxy-was-over-budget-at-232-million/

For the codename company mentioned in the article:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08176070/filing-history

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, dmatrixfilmdx said:

can't believe the net budget went down.  it seems if there is to be a big budget shark movie sitting around for years with a $150M pricetag, past events show these budget #s stretch to 200M.  

I was surprised last year how Dunkirk's budget went all the way down to $100M, and then they said it cost $100M firm and I was like wow.  

Apparently Dunkirk's final budget according to Emma Thomas was $82.5m, Nolan's one of the few director who tends to go under budget. 

8 hours ago, baumer said:

So Jason Statham is pulling a Richard Dreyfuss when he bad-mouthed Jaws before it came out as well.

What did Dreyfuss say? Statham wasn't trashing The MEG, just complaining that it was very  different from the first script and his idea of the film (not enough gore). It isn't a PR meltdown, he still manages to laud the director and concludes:

STATHAM: It’s a great summer movie.

16 hours ago, a2k said:

25% vs 50% from china makes a whole lot of difference for movie that's gonna do it's biggest numbers there.

say Meg does 75 dom + 150 china +150 os-china = 375 ww

then approx theatrical revenue with 0.25 vs 0.50,

75*0.55 + 150*0.25 + 150*0.33 = 128

75*0.55 + 150*0.50 + 150*0.33 = 166

btw with 425+ ww Rampage theatrical was around,

99.3*0.55 + 156*0.25 + 170*0.33 = 150 (120 prod budget)

I was saying...The Rock likes to save face by bringing up that, while his starring roles do lukewarm business in the US, they do well in China.

Actually though, you really want to sell tickets everywhere else BUT China 🤣! The only one that gets paid from China's box office is CHINA 🤣! 75%! You're getting nothing towards your overall production costs or advertising. You have to do Transformers/Avengers type money, to get a decent cut there.

They cant wait to grant The Rock's movies a spot during the China blackout period! They're pocketing three quarters of The Rock's gross! Here's your quarter Dwayne, pleased to do business 🤣!

Before Jaws came out and after the filming wrapped, Richard Dreyfuss went on national TV and ripped the entire film. He said that it was not going to be a good film and that he didn't feel that he was going to be good in it because he wasn't given enough to go on for his character or for him to understand his character. He was incredibly frustrated because the shooting schedule had tripled and they were basically sitting out at Sea with nothing to do for sometimes 12 or 14 hours a day. When the entire thing wrapped everybody thought it was going to be shit. Steven Spielberg and Verna Fields were basically the only ones who didn't think it was going to suck and they in turn convinced Richard Zanuck and David Brown that it was not going to suck. Once the movie came out and Richard Dreyfuss saw how good of a movie it was and how well the audience responded to it he totally backtracked and admitted he was wrong and apologized for what he said LOL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

You could probably make a movie about the making of Jaws.

I've been saying this for years.  I don't think it will happen while Spielberg is alive.  I just don't think he wants something like this to happen.

Looks like it’s opening above Rampage in most countries! https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadline.com/2018/08/the-meg-opening-weekend-china-global-international-box-office-1202443724/amp/ 

It probably won’t be as leggy in China as Rampage was but $300M OS might be really doable and if it opens well in US we could be looking at $400M+ WW! 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 2

1 hour ago, Godzilla said:

US we could be looking at $400M+ WW! 

BkB warned us ! We didn't listen.

If it does a terrible for a 4m preview start 80m dbo and not so good in China 95m that will give it a already a 70m on Geostorm 221m, pushing it nearly at 300m

Need 100m more than Geostorm from the rest of the world, I guess very possible if it started well relative to the 426m Rampage, not much competition coming for it also I think in August.

Edited by Barnack
  • Astonished 1