Jurassic World (2015)

158 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Yall are crazy, when he opened the hotel curtains and the Willians score came on, that was perfect. My favorite part of the movie.

Of course it was!  It felt like an engineered nostalgia moment, I knew it was going to have that effect the second I saw it.

You're seriously complaining about all this?

Why not complain about the actual premise of the film? Because it's so fuckin plausible that scientists can get dinosaur DNA from insects that were fossilized millions of years ago..

A good film works within the logical premises that it sets up in the film. Both the original book and the film that was based on it spend a lot of time explaining just how they did it. Now obviously this is all crap because if it wasn't we would have dinosaurs running around in real life. But it sells it well. It makes sense. Find dna inside mosquitoes that were preserved by sap, fill in the gaps with frog dna and we get dinosaurs. But oh no, unexpected consequences with frogs being able to change gender, now we have dino babies! 

Yes if you sit back and think about it, it falls apart, but it works within the context of the movie.

A dinosaur knowing about tracking devices, heat senses and being able to communicate with other dinosaurs after it was established in the film that it was brought up in isolation and didn't really know how to handle anything outside its pen is not set up and explained by the film. And that is what makes it dumb.

Entertaining as fuck. But incredibly dumb. Transformers 2 dumb.

Edited by Spottswoode
  • Like 2

You're seriously complaining about all this? Why not complain about the actual premise of the film? Because it's so fuckin plausible that scientists can get dinosaur DNA from insects that were fossilized millions of years ago.. A good film works within the logical premises that it sets up in the film. Both the original book and the film that was based on it spend a lot of time explaining just how they did it. Now obviously this is all crap because if it wasn't we would have dinosaurs running around in real life. But it sells it well. It makes sense. Find dna inside mosquitoes that were preserved by sap, fill in the gaps with frog dna and we get dinosaurs. But oh no, unexpected consequences with frogs being able to change gender, now we have dino babies! Yes if you sit back and think about it, it falls apart, but it works within the context of the movie. A dinosaur knowing about tracking devices, heat senses and being able to communicate with other dinosaurs after it was established in the film that it was brought up in isolation and didn't really know how to handle anything outside its pen is not set up and explained by the film. And that is what makes it dumb. Entertaining as fuck. But incredibly dumb. Transformers 2 dumb.
I don't see a difference, to be honest. The movie would not be as entertaining if they had to fully explain everything, plus it would spoil the surprise of that scene Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

it's a fun movie but really cheesy and silly. Honestly in terms of tone it is closest to JP3.   I actually prefer The Lost World. While it had some horribly annoying characters it had a darker and more intense tone. There was nothing really here are thrilling as the trailer attack or the "long grass" scene

however, just by nature of being the first Jurassic World movie in 14 years I must give it a break. I can't pretend this movie didn't make me feel all giddy inside. 

• Like 2

A good film works within the logical premises that it sets up in the film. Both the original book and the film that was based on it spend a lot of time explaining just how they did it. Now obviously this is all crap because if it wasn't we would have dinosaurs running around in real life. But it sells it well. It makes sense. Find dna inside mosquitoes that were preserved by sap, fill in the gaps with frog dna and we get dinosaurs. But oh no, unexpected consequences with frogs being able to change gender, now we have dino babies! 

Yes if you sit back and think about it, it falls apart, but it works within the context of the movie.

A dinosaur knowing about tracking devices, heat senses and being able to communicate with other dinosaurs after it was established in the film that it was brought up in isolation and didn't really know how to handle anything outside its pen is not set up and explained by the film. And that is what makes it dumb.

It's not the I-rex that is clever, it's every single one human characters around it that are so fucking dumb so it looks like the Joker, Sun Tzu, Predator and Einstein all rolled into one.

Edited by MADash Rendar
  • Like 4

It's not the I-rex that is clever, it's every single one human characters around it that are so fucking dumb so it looks like the Joker, Sun Tzu, Predator and Einstein all rolled into one.

Yes, lets walk inside the pen before confirming that the I-Rex has infact escaped by checking its motion tracker device. 

Brilliant work humans, brilliant work!

Yes, lets walk inside the pen before confirming that the I-Rex has infact escaped by checking its motion tracker device. 

They did take precautions in case it was still there, they just didn't expect it to sneak up on them.

I don't know, I just didn't find anything in this film to be as gratingly stupid as those two guys trying to pet an aggressive-looking alien in Prometheus.

Yeah a 15 meters tall killing machine that can play hide and seek in a pen in broad daylight knowing how to use a GPS motion tracking device to trick humans into thinking he's not there even when he's actually there, a fact they would know if they actually checked the motion tracker device. That's Prometheus dumb.

Edited by MADash Rendar
  • Like 1

There's a few moments in the original JP that are pretty high on the "stupid" scale, too, like why Alan and Tim don't try to switch to the other side of the tree as the Jeep's coming down, or why Tim doesn't just slide or hand the gun over to Ellie while Lex is doing her hacker business.

• Like 1

Yeah a 15 meters tall killing machine that can play hide and seek in a pen in broad daylight knowing how to use a GPS motion tracking device to trick humans into thinking he's not there even when he's actually there, a fact they would know if they actually checked the motion tracker device. That's Prometheus dumb.

How do you know? Maybe it was doing a Dufresne and biding its time until it had all its eggs in the basket, so to speak.

The movie does a great job of constructing and executing suspense, developing its core characters albeit the children being a little under developed and would not have cared if one of them died (Sorry, the children were, to say the least, bland), the acting seemed average for an action flick although only one character stood out to me in terms of acting and character; Claire and her character received quite an ample amount of dedication, the raptors were a nice touch and their relationship with Owen and the underlying theme of the overall theme did not feel forced and was actually presented quite well, the building towards the climax was breathtaking, the falling action sequence was, like a majority of films, brief but did its job, and the resolution was calming.  One of the great things about the films apart from the theme(s) as I stated earlier was it's throwback to the original film and the return of the Tyrannosaurus Rex (Not sure many knew it was the original because of they did, the whole entire theater would have erupted into cheers) which received a few gasps and claps in the audience.  Overall, the themes of the movie were, as I said earlier, presented in an semi-original way without too much preaching and the characters were nicely rounded and the overall film was at best, better than the second and third installments to the series.  

PROS:

- Claire, her acting (although not Oscar worthy) had presence and character 

- Character development, could have been better but still great

- Kids are not annoying

- Underlying themes, tackled 'mature' themes in an effective way

- Raptors, Blue was awesome 

- Setting up suspense for the sequel with Dr.Wu's escape with the embryos

- Score was quite good  

- Funny gags even if most were sexual (LOL)

CONS:

- Initiation was quite predictable

- Could have done more with Dr.Wu 

- Felt rushed at parts  

- Character development for the kids

- Characters aside from Owen and Claire not memorable AT ALL

- Backstory with the kids... meh; been done a million times and although I would like to say it never gets old, it is old

VERDICT?

B-, better than two and three but could have been more polished and made more memorable 

PS: One of the funniest scenes for me was how Claire's assistant got killed... I know I'm a heartless person! 

Edited by CelestialFairyIX

Nothing will ever be as dumb as Transformers 2, and unlike that movie where Michael Bay thinks its legitimately awesome, Jurassic World comes off as ridiculously self aware.  It possibly has the most obvious subtext in history to the point of annoyance at times, and people are asking variations of "why did the movie do this thing or that thing or OMG that was dumb" without even considering why.  Its a movie about how creators/marketing always strives for bigger and better ways to continue to keep wow-ing people as they quickly become bored(in this case, a giant super hybrid dinosaur with unique "outlandish" abilities) only to destroy what people loved about the original, eventually regaining the attention by going back to basics after that happens. It subverts by having the grand themes of the original score commercial and mundane things or eschews moments that would normally be centered around a "wow" factor, for a shifted focus that matches the older teen's blase attitude towards the whole thing.  It was so on the nose, but I've still heard from some people that they didn't understand why the older teen was bored at first but then was not when that changing point "mysteriously" happens when he runs into the first new dinosaur seen in the movie as compared to everything else which he (we) had seen before.

• Like 3

I think the cinematography is what bothered me most actually. Felt a little polished, and other than the night vision attack scene, the cinematography felt standard. I wanted more shadows, more dramatic angles. Like with the pterodactyl attack, it would've been cool to see the swoop down in the pterodactyls POV, rather than leaving the camera stationary and just filming people running. 

Speaking of people running, the movie wasn't as menacing as I thought it'd be. Like with the pterodactyl scene, I was wanting more people being swooped up and thrown around and explosions and terror and dramatic angle. It felt more like a butcher herding pigs into a pin to me. And the rest of the attacks werent as brutal as I was expecting. Still intense, but I was expecting more "terror." Like I was wanting I-rex to break into where civilians were and start scaring the pants off people. Not necessarily eating them, but just terrorizing.

Other than that, this was a lot of fun. I really didn't notice much bad dialogue, characters were stock, but they were relatable and likable. The kids actually weren't annoying. Jake Johnson was awesome. The product placement didn't bother me at all. I liked how they talked about Verizon, cuz it's true. "Bank of America Stadium", "Staples Center", "American Airways Arena", "AT&T Stadium", "Tropicana Field", "Kodak Theater", etc. that's how it is, America is corporate. Soundtrack was good too, and the effects were good enough. It was obvious most of the creature budget went towards the masosaur.

Solid B. 

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 3