#ED

Weekend Actuals: Inside Out - 90.44M | Jurassic World - 106.59M

We care more about people we recognize than ones we don't. It's human nature.

Actually, even that's too generous: "we" don't even care about these celebrities.  It's literally impossible for a human to be "heartbroken" at the many thousands of celebrities, athletes, and politicians they know of, because the largest number of people the average human can empathize with is 150.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar%27s_number

It's all just moral preening - people pretending to be "devastated" at the death of some movie star or ball player who would rather piss on them than have dinner with them.  It's people saying, "Look, I'm so sensitive and I feel so much!" 

I prefer the people who are just more honest and say, "Yeah, celebrity gossip is junk food for the brain, but who doesn't want to read about Bruce Jenner having his units sliced off?"  They're much more tolerable than the people pretending to cry and pretending to not be able to leave the house for a day after Heath Ledger or Paul Walker died.  It's really not even a contest.

Actually, even that's too generous: "we" don't even care about these celebrities.  It's literally impossible for a human to be "heartbroken" at the many thousands of celebrities, athletes, and politicians they know of, because the largest number of people the average human can empathize with is 150.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar%27s_number

It's all just moral preening - people pretending to be "devastated" at the death of some movie star or ball player who would rather piss on them than have dinner with them.  It's people saying, "Look, I'm so sensitive and I feel so much!" 

I prefer the people who are just more honest and say, "Yeah, celebrity gossip is junk food for the brain, but who doesn't want to read about Bruce Jenner having his units sliced off?"  They're much more tolerable than the people pretending to cry and pretending to not be able to leave the house for a day after Heath Ledger or Paul Walker died.  It's really not even a contest.

I am not crying or anything I am just wishing he is alive since he is a human being and he is young. If he is may he rest in peace and I hope the family can finding healing with each other with friends, and from his fans.  Even if do not know someone that died, you still think of their and what they are going through. 

We care more about people we recognize than ones we don't. It's human nature.   Actually, even that's too generous: "we" don't even care about these celebrities.  It's literally impossible for a human to be "heartbroken" at the many thousands of celebrities, athletes, and politicians they know of, because the largest number of people the average human can empathize with is 150.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar%27s_number   It's all just moral preening - people pretending to be "devastated" at the death of some movie star or ball player who would rather piss on them than have dinner with them.  It's people saying, "Look, I'm so sensitive and I feel so much!"    I prefer the people who are just more honest and say, "Yeah, celebrity gossip is junk food for the brain, but who doesn't want to read about Bruce Jenner having his units sliced off?"  They're much more tolerable than the people pretending to cry and pretending to not be able to leave the house for a day after Heath Ledger or Paul Walker died.  It's really not even a contest.
You're partly right in that people generally aren't interested in the day to day well-being of a celebrity, but a death means that they will no longer be putting out new material. Selfish, yes, but that's the main reason celebrity deaths affect the masses emotionally.

Great having you back. Really missed your brand of bullshit

• Like 13

There always has to be that one asshole . . .

Look, a lot of us grew up with the music in films during our childhood up to now. It hurts when someone who was a part of your childhood, even if they were a source of entertainment and not directly a part of it, pass. Perhaps not in the same way as a family member or friend, but it hurts all the same.

Edited by Yandereprime
  • Like 1

I like DavidBrennan's perspective of looking at this issue. I won't say I agree with him, but it's a really interesting perspective. And of cause his spirit of not being afraid at all of posting sth that he knew he was going to get slammed for. :P

Maybe I should've worded that a little differently. You may not know celebrities personally, but they still shape your life in a more obvious fashion than some of your real life acquaintances, so you can still be affected if they end up a traumatic situation

Edited by tribefan695

There always has to be that one asshole . . .

Look, a lot of us grew up with the music in films during our childhood up to now. It hurts when someone who was a part of your childhood, even if they were a source of entertainment, pass. Perhaps not in the same way as a family member or friend, but it hurts all the same.

So being a pop culture consumer exempts from Dunbar's Number and you magically feel personal empathy with the tens of thousands of celebrities?

No, it doesn't. 

You don't have to morally preen about your supposed feelings for total strangers in order to be a sensitive person.  It's totally cool to be honest and say, "All death is sad, but I didn't know the dude.  Prayers and best wishes to his family."  And be done with it.  Tales of your emotional turmoil are phony and totally unnecessary.

PS: One Sweet Day is a song by Mariah Carey that holds the title for most weeks at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 with sixteen and is often synonymous with "Most overplayed song of the 1990's" during it's heyday.

The fact that you needed to tell people what One Sweet Day is is a sign of its irrelevance compared to the other hit songs of the 90s.

• Like 1

The last TWO WEEK have been amazing on this board

Thanks for the fun all.

This is why I love this message board.

Think this surpassed 2012 as the funnest summer in my memory....and it's just June.

I'm looking forward to the WWW for Ant-Man (preview: Peak Superhero and awkward Multiculturalism) to really put the cherry on top.

• Like 1

I was looking for the clip from 'The Office' where Kelly is detailing how sad Princess Diana's funeral was.  She goes, "It was the saddest funeral EVER!  Well, that and my grandma's."

That sums it up every time a famous person dies and I see people boasting about how tortured they are.  They probably have some sick and lonely grandparent right then who desperately craves their attention, and instead they're on Facebook and Instagram pretending to be heartbroken that Whitney Houston died.  Wonderful use of human capital.

This isn't the clip I wanted, but it still works:

• Like 1