kayumanggi

RAMPAGE | 13 April 2018 | Warner Brothers | Dwayne Johnson

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

What you mean, an above 20m second weekend sound good no ? 43-44% drop do not sound bad for this imo, despite having absolutely no competition this weekend.

with a 2m Wednesday, and it being a CGI family film, one would anticipate at least a 150% increase on Friday to 5m making 20m within reach.  But there is a chance Wednesday's 2m will only double to Friday matching what Power Rangers did a year ago.  I think Rampage is going to go for 20m, but it took a heavier drop from Tuesday to Wednesday than I expected.

Just watched this movie and I really had a great time with it! I really didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. I'd recommend it to everyone - Go check it out if you wanna have some fun!

I really gotta make a priority to watch every Dwayne movie on a big screen; they're always real fun at the movie theater.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Arlborn said:

Just watched this movie and I really had a great time with it! I really didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. I'd recommend it to everyone - Go check it out if you wanna have some fun!

I really gotta make a priority to watch every Dwayne movie on a big screen; they're always real fun at the movie theater.

Just got home as well and agree with everything you said! Great time at the movies! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Arlborn said:

It's a film where you can leave your brain at the door and enjoy the destruction and mayhem. Dwayne and George was such a good combo. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

New Line/Warner Bros’ Rampage continued to dominate overseas play this weekend, adding $57M in 61 markets to push the international box office to $216.4M.

first international weekend was $114.1m also in 61 markets....

With China being a large portion and them having usually solid drop, hard to judge if a 50% drop is bad, average or good.

So a 283m total with a 77m or so weekend with some main market yet to open, make 425m or so still fully alive right ?

So, what does everyone think of the film's performance now that its run is largely decided (save a few territories). Are we getting a sequel? Would the Rock want to do a sequel with so much (and honestly, things more successful than this) already on his plate. Thoughts?

Also, how is everyone feeling about the glut of monster movies we've been getting recently? Any hopes for it to continue?

Edited by Josh

On 4/29/2018 at 3:33 AM, Josh said:

So, what does everyone think of the film's performance now that its run is largely decided (save a few territories). Are we getting a sequel? Would the Rock want to do a sequel with so much (and honestly, things more successful than this) already on his plate. Thoughts?

Also, how is everyone feeling about the glut of monster movies we've been getting recently? Any hopes for it to continue?

its going to be around 400m. 120m budget and 400m gross isnt that bad. i think the breakeven figure is somewhere between 430-450! so surely it did more than ok considering the non-brand image of this movie. as u said dwayne johnson has much better movies on his plate but one tempting thing is that, its the most successful movie for him in china which is easily the second biggest market(certainly the biggest for this movie). its gonna end up around 150m there. so the sequel is a temptation largely because of its success in middle kingdom! brad peyton and rock combo has always been successful in chine. Journey 2 did around 50m(which is very good during that time), SA did 100m and this will breach 150m. so middle kingdom will play a major factor for this movie's sequel announcement!

1 hour ago, Jaybee said:

ts going to be around 400m. 120m budget and 400m gross isnt that bad. i think the breakeven figure is somewhere between 430-450! so surely it did more than ok considering the non-brand image of this movie.

That a strange thing to say, did more than ok while doing less than is breakeven figure (Not that I agree with that estimate at all)

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That a strange thing to say, did more than ok while doing less than is breakeven figure (Not that I agree with that estimate at all)

If RPO's break even was $425m then Rampage with a lower budget must be mid $300m break even

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

If RPO's break even was $425m then Rampage with a lower budget must be mid $300m break even

We really do not know where RPO break even point is (even the studio does not know precisely even if they have a much better idea than us, they can get it wrong, they will use formula but not only the actual market by market breakdown is important with most of the studio revenues made after theatrical you can just have a rough idea of the box office needed to break even), it really depend heavily on Spielberg deal.

Same for Rampage, impossible to have a precise idea (or even a rough idea, a 10-15% first dollar deal a la prime Angelia Jolie or current Denzel and rampage budget become 150/160m at break even point instead of 120, quite higher) without knowing Johnson deal, does he have first dollar, start at 200m, start really after a reasonable break even point making it irrelevant....

The only thing we know for sure because it leaked is that a very similar movie domestic and ww-China movie costing a bit more than 120m in production budget with a 100m world release turned a profit making this (around 20m for the studio):

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=elysium.htm

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $93,050,117    32.5%
Foreign:  $193,090,583    67.5%

Worldwide:  $286,140,700  

Do not see why Rampage would need more than this while being cheaper than Elysium to just break even, if Johnson didn't get first dollar gross. Because it is china heavy, it is above 240m but not necessarily by very much.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Barnack said:

We really do not know where RPO break even point is (even the studio does not know precisely even if they have a much better idea than us, they can get it wrong), it really depend heavily on Spielberg deal.

Same for Rampage, impossible to have a precise idea without knowing Johnson deal, does he have first dollar, start at 200m, start really after a reasonable break even point making it irrelevant....

The only thing we know for sure because it leaked is that a very similar movie domestic and ww-China movie costing a bit more than 120m in production budget with a 100m world release turned a profit making this (around 20m for the studio):

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=elysium.htm

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $93,050,117    32.5%
Foreign:  $193,090,583    67.5%

Worldwide:  $286,140,700  

Do not see why Rampage would need more than this while being cheaper than Elysium to just break even, if Johnson didn't get first dollar gross. Because it is china heavy, it is above 240m but not necessarily by very much.

So it's safer to say that it has already breached the breakeven mark? Doing 150m In china being a non sequel is very good. Isn't it ?

46 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

So it's safer to say that it has already breached the breakeven mark? Doing 150m In china being a non sequel is very good. Isn't it ?

It had a very good China run yes no doubt, it probably already got into profit participation bonus for Johnson if he had that kind of deal yes, will take 1 1 year's or os for them to know for sure were it will end up.