baumer

Weekend Thread JW 54.2M, hits 500 | IO 52M | pg 99

McCarthy has proven to be a WOM machine. All of her lead role films have pulled between 3.9-4.1x multis, and it looks like Spy may be headed for that range as well.

I think it's just the demographic's moviegoing schedules: middle-aged women don't rush to Midnights.  (Well, maybe this one.)  Same with Clint Eastwood and Jack Nicholson movies.  They'll get to the movie when they've finished building that birdhouse!

So I wonder if Universal will underestimate JW with its weekend estimates again.

They did it over the last two weeks, won't be shocked if they do it again.

Also, it's gonna be really interesting to see how next week shapes up. I didn't realize IO and JW could be on top of the new releases again.

So if JW makes 55m this weekend, it will be at 500m on Sunday(43m ahead of Avengers at the same point).  Can it make another 158m from here on out and beat Titanic?

It's not guaranteed by any means, but it had two sub-50% drops although coming off two record-breaking Weekends. So I think it's very possible.

I wonder if Ted 2's budget was small enough that it will still be a hit despite such a massive admissions bleed from the first?

85m budget. It will make 250m+ WW  so its gonna be profitable. But there wont be Ted 3 of course

JW is definitely going to beat Titanic. TDK made another $140 million coming off $42.6 million in its third weekend. Assuming a 55M weekend for Jurassic World, with the same multiplier, it would do $680 million total. Following The Avengers, it would do roughly $665 million. I'd say it will probably end somewhere in between those totals. 

This could come down to actuals again, right? Last two weekends we had to wait for actuals to verify JW broke the records, this week we might have to wait for actuals to see who takes the weekend.

JW wins easy, because actuals of IO will go down (Thank you Disney :() and JW will go up. All heil Universal :D

JW wins easy, because actuals of IO will go down (Thank you Disney :() and JW will go up. All heil Universal :D

It will be funny if we get headlines about IO taking the weekend only to find JW got it with actuals.

Universal needs to stop underestimating this.

• Like 1

That's gonna be a fun one tho

You bet.  Where to begin?

My main theory - alluded to weeks ago (although I didn't take notice of and join the under 50m OW club) - has already sparked SJW indignation and complaints to mods.  I have to find a way to phrase it so the mods aren't bullied by the "Oh no he di'int!" brigades and delete it.